Economy Comfort transcon and Preferred Seats News

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Michelle_DeltaSkyMiles, Nov 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Last month, we announced the news about our domestic Economy Comfort (EC) product coming next summer. Later today, you will hear from us with an email announcing that beginning today, for travel on or after December 1st, you will now be able to choose an ECt seat on our transcon flights between LAX, SFO and New York JFK. Like international EC, these seats will have up to 4 inches of extra legroom and 50% more recline. You’ll be able to access or select an EC seat on delta.com, during online check-in, or at the kiosk.

The Medallion pricing for EC transcon seats will be exactly the same as our Domestic EC structure. Diamond, Platinum, and Gold Medallion members will receive complimentary access to EC seats on transcon flights. Silver Medallions will receive 50% savings on these EC equipped routes. In addition, Y, B or M class fares will include complimentary access to these seats.

As you may have heard via WSJ as well as DLCorpGirl, we will also be announcing Preferred Seats for sale. But no worries - as always, Medallion members will continue to enjoy complimentary Preferred Seats for the entire booking window, just like you today. The difference is that beginning today, non-Medallion members will have the ability to access to any remaining Preferred Seats (for a fee) during the check-in window from 24 hour prior to departure until the time of boarding.

You know the drill - I’ll be here to answer any Medallion program related questions but also want you to know that my colleagues representing the product team will also be monitoring.

Thanks,

Michelle, SkyMiles | Delta Social Ambassador
    Connect with us at Twitter.com/Delta & Facebook.com/Delta

2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Michelle,

Thanks for the update! I know we appreciate knowing what is going on, especially when people see seat changes and rumours start to fly!

Robin

3. tin509

tin509 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I wonder will ATL to LAX, SFO be added soon?

rwoman likes this.
  4. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it will take a bit more time since the a/c on this route vary and, unlike, the JFK-LAX/SFO flights are not all configured for international trips.

It will be nice once it's here though!

:)

5. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the insight and being an integral part of MilePoint!

rwoman likes this.
  6. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah, Delta corporate spokespersons!

So much effort is expended by DL on announcing EC and scrubbing social media. So little on actually delivering whatever benefit is claimed. But luckily for us, the Stalinist Borg can't dominate all media and so I'll return to the customary theme. To which there has not been, and is not, any good answer.

There's no point in relying on the provision of EC on DL any more than there already is reliability in delivery of the published EC benefit on KL. it's just not worth the effort, time and angst to attempt to access supposed published benefits. "Medallion preferred seats!" Mwahahaha! You mean, like those disappearing A class bulkhead F seats? Or the exit row seats that vanish when an equipment sub occurs and cannot be restored by us or by DL SMS?

Why no response to the myriad complaints about SM and the deliberately deceptive selling practices of DeltaBestInClass.COM? DL in general and the SM program in particular don't even deliver on their published benefits, which are already meager in comparison to most other FFP. Why bother with EC when there's no incentive to fly DL at all unless it's rock bottom cheapest? Zero marginal value means DL competes as an LCC.

Let's not forget this kind of demand, which is routine for SM but would be an intolerable outrage on every other FFP including US DM.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...rld-record-even-dl-sm-best-class-alright.html

It's astonishing because it corresponds to no published multiple of the three-tier scam. Unpublished additive logic is being used in violation of implied and published redemption levels. Almost every route shows similar possibilities for redemption.

And like I keep telling Jeff, my DL stock has tanked and even these shenanigans aren't doing the trick.

Perhaps I'll come to the next stockholder AGM and then I'll have the pleasure of meeting Jeff and all other DL corporate persons. You will know me, because my question will be... Just how is any of this *best in class* or even *world class*?

Obviously Jeff R. would have anyone's hides for daring to acknowledge any of this in public. But you know, decent and honorable Delta workers, of whom there are some, admit in private that the company ethic and its delivery of SM product leaves a lot to be desired. In reality, you know this too. It must be grating to have to work in this environment. One senior Medallion agent said she "burns with shame" at being unable to ticket as advertised by the program.

It's all *best in class*

Over at UA, Jeff Smisek meantime, tells us that UA MP is "second to none." He will not be held to ridicule on his claim by me or anyone else. You know why, and so do we.

7. MalcoveMagnesia
    Original Member

MalcoveMagnesia Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey, RedTailShark... could you take your beef to a different thread? You might have some legitimate complaints (not sure about this, cause your rants tend to be a little long and disorganized so they're easily skimmed over) and I also may have some gripes about Delta, but I for one am also very thankful Michelle and other Delta representatives are here to interact and pass along news (in this case good news for Elites). Stop trying to scare them away. Right now you simply look just like a

[​IMG]

brfort, DYKWIA and rwoman like this.
  8. redtailshark

Status Points:
    "Scare them away"? Wow!

If a company cannot handle criticism of its delivery and of the huge gulf between its promises and its product, there's no point in it being in business. And as for "taking it elsewhere," no. That's exactly what apologists and corporate stooges want. They can scrub their own media, but it's amazing that there are some who want to aid and abet them in this censorship.

The idea that somehow I'm the only one with these views is so laughable. Anyone who thinks so needs to read the DL board on FT. Most of these complaints are regular, weekly and sometimes daily. Look at this week's thread on EC access for instance. Lots of complaints about how this doesn't work for DL Medallions on KL.

It's not just one thing. It's an absolute torrent of bad faith practices - do you remember the T-72 award change moratorium, or the overnight doubling of SM required for intra-Asia redemptions, just to take two recent cases? What about the regular upgrade Shena N. Igans? Or the claims by so-called Medallion reps that MH, OK etc. are not partners and SM cannot be redeemed on these airlines - in blatant contradiction of their own published T&C on DL.COM? Or the lack of correspondence between award calendar LOW green dates and the actual availability of the tickets? Or the real-time repricing that is often reported on DeltaBestInClass.COM, where the fare is "sold out" or "not available"...and that the actual prices demanded is consistently higher than initially shown?

Denying that these events occur makes the denier look foolish. So the question is: why? And why excuse them, or attempt to silence those who bring these facts to light?

All airlines make mistakes, or have one or two ill-informed or even malicious reps or ill-considered program conditions. But have you ever wondered why DL has so many more of these delivery problems across the board than any other airline?

Do you believe that Jeff and Rick are not intelligent enough to know that these problems exist? I think they're smart and well-informed people.

That leaves us only one conclusion.

Next, Michelle and all DL SM reps work for these guys. We all know this. Yet some plead for their favors and make excuses for the refusal of their managers to acknowledge a. their service and product is deficient and b. it's their responsibility to correct and improve it. Even BA knows better than this, Dilbertian though they have been.

Each time the SM management measures the mean number of SM required for a J redemption US to EU, and they find numbers like 161,445 SM (against a stated LOW of 100,000), they pound their fists on the table in triumph. That's what their program is about.

Another thing. Since I'm not the one in charge of how SM is managed, it's hard to see how these failures are my fault. Why would you expect customers to be quiet about this, to aid and abet the wilful falsity in product and service delivery that exists at such a large scale? It's an uncomfortable truth for some.

The evidence is overwhelming. DL SM lacks integrity and its product lacks meaningful value. The promises and claims of EC access are just another in a long litany of worthless corporate propaganda. It's in everyone's interest that criticisms or skepticism about delivery are voiced, not silenced under a corporate embargo.

The easiest way to eliminate the widespread mistrust and lack of faith would be for a company to deliver on stated T&C, in accord with the published rules, and stop gaming its own customers. Silencing customers is neither a good nor practical strategy for a lot of reasons.

So then if Michelle is "scared away" by these statements, that will tell the readers a lot. But I don't expect that will happen. She sees this, goes away to consult with Jeff R. about how to respond. Jeff says, O no, redtailmegalodon has surfaced again, I thought our agents got rid of him and censored him from all public discourse, O what's this? OK, Michelle, here's the game plan:

a. Attempt to influence the board mods to censor the pesky Shark. A typical and predictable tactic from organizations that seek to scrub social media. [If only this effort were directed into improving SM..]
    b. Disappear, as you fear. This will be an admission if ever there was.
    c. Return, and ignore this as if it never happened. The selective ignorance of the DL SM management on matters of import to customers contrasts very badly with the clarity with which UA addresses complaints. UAInsider doesn't duck the issues or evade them.

One day we'll get the inside story on these convos at Virgina Ave from someone who's there now, and they'll be most interesting. We all know these convos, like everything else here, are *best in class*

9. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    redtailshark,

I do not think many of us question whether or not the SkyMiles program has issues (award calendar), inconsistencies (e.g. Economy Comfort on DL vs. KL; PDB's), or frustrations (using SWU's/cost of YBM fares to do so int'l). That said, your posts tend to be complaining tirades against the evil DL empire vice something remotely constructive....turning something aimed to be positive into an instant negative.

As such, your delivery and rambling negativity really motivate other posters to just scan down past your threads.

Try posting something people have an interest in reading vice the "woe is me...I've been banned from other forums." Also, if UA does a much better job in your opinion, that's fine...stick with them and be happy.

robin

mattsteg likes this.
  10. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    My personal area is when worst-case manifestations of these issues are presented as typical experiences borne from a conspiracy to defraud.

Does anyone actually redeem for the obviously-glitched redemption rates that the anti-Delta cabal likes to cite? I suspect it certainly puts a damper on redemptions, and also drives people to lower-value redemptions, but I doubt there's much redemption at those levels.

Shark: I don't think that long, rambling, hyperbolic posts really accomplish much, other than possibly providing an outlet for your angst. When you devolve to that point, you've destroyed your credibility with independent observers to the same degree that Delta has apparently lost all credibility with you.

rwoman and MalcoveMagnesia like this.
  11. redtailshark

Status Points:
    And if we're going to personalize the debate here, then your threads are the Uncle Tom equivalent by wishing away criticism of many aspects of the SM program, which include its demonstrable record of non-delivery on published benefits. Not even the apologists can any longer deny the record is dismal. The T-72 fiasco changed the view of quite a few DL loyalists on this matter. And who's responsible for that? Can't be me...since my posts were censored ;) So it has to be DL themselves...

I didn't begin by personalizing this thread but since you started, I'll take your approach and personalize my commentary. So if my posting is "rambling and negative" then your Pollyanna delivery and uncritical hushhush approach to a program you clearly believe has issues is pure Uncle Tom-speak. Do they have something over you? Do you fear revocation of DM status if you dare to openly criticize DL SM? Now, that would tell us even more.

And what's "constructive"? Uncle Tom-speak? Hmmmmm..... It's rather typical and simplistic move to define the threshold of "constructive" as "that which agrees with my view."

And what do "people" other than you have "an interest in reading"? Same thing, huh? Views that correspond with yours? You might well be a Brit!

Ah, no, just because this discussion annoys or discomfits you isn't a good reason for me to "take it elsewhere" or "stick to United." I avail myself of the First Amendment and suggest you do likewise. If DL achieved full control of discussion of SM, which is clearly what they'd like, there would be whisperings of failures to deliver and no open discussion of any of the failures. That tugging of the forelock is out of fashion in the colonies. And it's good thing, too.

The absurdly propagandized EC benefit is worth about the same as most other DL SM "benefits" as detailed above.

12. brfort
    Original Member

brfort Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can milepoint institute a dislike button for posts? It seems that the overtly negative sentiment from that other ff website (i'm looking at you flyertalk) has made its way over here. It would be great if we could keep the over the top, self-indulgent negativity to a minimum over here!

13. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    redtailshark,

We are all now clear that you strongly dislike DL and, based on your username, I suspect you miss NW. However unfortunate, NW is not comng back.

I do find it funny you would assume I'm a Brit and then talk about First Amendment rights though...if I were British, would the First Amendment really apply?

Your discussion points do not annoy or cause discomfort; I just think you're blathering on and on and on. Then again, that is the beauty of the First Amendment.

It's easy...see your post, continue scrolling down..move on...

That said, we get it, you don't like DL or their FF program.

brfort likes this.
  14. MalcoveMagnesia
    Original Member

MalcoveMagnesia Silver Member

Status Points:
  15. redtailshark

Status Points:
    Robin, to your points. Who said anything about NW coming back? Where is this idea coming from exactly? Look at the thread. You did. Not me. I compared UA program/service to DL, and I do the same with US and even BA/AA. these companies are all DL competitors.

Next, let's not pretend I'm not the only one who doesn't like many aspects of DL SM. It's hard to rationally defend any of the misleading/deceptive practices detailed above. Numerous others have made the same observations.

So we don't have the wrong factual impression of my position, not all of DL is loathsome. Their FA's deliver consistently courteous service, for example. GoGo is almost ubiquitous on mainline a/c. I don't even mind the blue leather. Michelle's menu is OK. But let's be realistic. Overall there's a lot to dislike e.g. high SM Medallion tiers are a low-value proposition compared with competitors' higher elite tiers.

I dislike the way DL SM management patronizes the customers and how customers contribute to a hush-hush climate in which, for example, they thank corporate spokespeople profusely for announcing PR like above instead of addressing the numerous real criticisms. Tugging of the forelock is indeed what comes to mind reading the responses. Do you remember, one of DL's social media ambassadors recently promised "conversation"? No point in defending that claim. Look over at FT or here. Their idea of "convo" is a joke and numerous others took them to task. But it's not impossible for a company to hold open dialog even when they announce unpopular changes. How is it that UA have a real conversation and maintain a high level of customer respect despite, for example, cutting the 1P bonus from 100% to 50%? Superficially UA 1P benefits would be uncompetitive with SM GM....except for DL's award idiocy that means one Star mile is worth about 2.4 DL miles.

Yes, the First Amendment does apply if you live in the United States, regardless of citizenship. In the UK, an almost inverse legal framework applies which defines abridging of speech e.g the Official Secrets Act. I think it does have an impact on the way disagreements are handled.

Finally, no need to be disingenuous. If the posts didn't annoy, why the strong invocations to move thread/take a hike/be silent/use UA and disappear from DL? Those indicate people are p'od. We can all see the evidence. "I didn't really say/mean that..." Well, that's not what the record shows above.

Unlike most of you, I welcome your free expressions whether in support of DL or against me. What I don't welcome is the imperative to silence disagreement.

I am used to controversy. I have come to believe it has value in democratic societies. I do my part...I contribute my views and yes, get banned/banished from numerous internet boards. I may be unpopular with certain segments of society (e.g. DL apologists) but I don't take that to mean I'm wrong. No. I am right, in that I value First Amendment expression. In almost every case where this has happened, my postings are among the most well read and quoted and I receive numerous private PMs and other contacts expressing support for aspects of my analysis even from those who don't like my presentation. Same over at DL.

Sometimes I'm right in other ways. What I find most revealing are the notes from DL employees. In quite a number of cases, they agree with much of what I say and they tell me how they would do things differently if they were in Jeff's position. As an example, I received a bundle of those notes after posting this:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...o-customer-approach-after-management-sha.html

The same, interestingly, over at BA - of whom I was for years even more critical than I am of DL. As many know. Ultimately, a management rep invited me to Waterworld for a discussion on the EC service issues. That occurred after I'd been banned by the BA mods on FT - one day after the same happened at the DL forum! Mwahaha! BA management more in touch with their own problems than their defenders on FT??!! Heavens above! I was surprised. But that's what I learned. Even a Dilbertian and pseudo-Stalinist culture like BA can reform and handle criticism.

But I am not so sure at DL. The disconnects are very profound.

Anyway, perhaps one day, one of those more visionary and focused DL employees will be in charge, and maybe DL will truly move in the direction of best in class. As opposed to...you know what.