Economy Comfort coming to domestic?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Ryan Bingham, Sep 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Ryan Bingham
    Original Member

Ryan Bingham Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't have a specific link to send you to but I've read the bullet points from Delta's presentation at the Deutsche Bank Aviation and Transportation Conference. Ed Bastian, President, did the speaking...

He mentioned that Economy Comfort is selling well and they are thinking about putting it on the domestic side. What does that mean...entire fleet? Don't know.

It is interesting given the timing of Continental going forward with EconomyPlus. For those who have not heard the story, Continental management (the predominant group left running the combined UA/CO) scoffed at EP several times prior to the merger. They even admit going into the merger and looking at EP they expected the numbers to show it was a money loser. Turns out, UA can make money by selling extra legroom and taking out a row or two of seats per plane.

2. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good, as long as it takes seats from coach rather than first.

rwoman and traveller99 like this.
  3. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    You always have the most interesting posts.....

rwoman likes this.
  4. Dorlee
    Original Member

Dorlee Silver Member

Status Points:
    You look so much like George Clooney ;)

rwoman likes this.
  5. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can't say this is a shock to anyone. If CO decided to keep it after the merger with UA it's obvious DL was going to look into it as well. And since DL is making money on international routes with it I think it makes sense to bring it over to the domestic side.

What will be interesting to see is if DL goes with an all EC coach aircraft on JFK-SFO/LAX. UACO just announced plans to completely re-do the p.s. service with lie flat up front and most of the Y cabin as E+. Maybe DL will consider lie-flat up front as well on the JFK-SFO/LAX service.

-RM

rwoman and DeltaExpert like this.
  6. Ryan Bingham
    Original Member

Ryan Bingham Silver Member

Status Points:
    And that's an interesting opinion because...Continental is keeping the first class seating as is, which surprised a lot of people me included. The thinking was that Continental planes would look more like UA aircraft with generally smaller first class sections to make up for fewer coach seats. That Continental is keeping F20 on its 737-900's and F16 on its 737-800's is a pleasant surprise. I believe, however, that United planes will stay the same too...so the 319 will still have the paltry F8 layout.

So with that...it will be interesting to see what Delta does. Obviously they can make any decision they want, and they will (as we know with SkyMiles recently) but removing a row of first class would really look bad after two years of consistent promotion/advertising that they're adding first class seating.

rwoman likes this.
  7. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, DL took the 319 from F16 to F12. Then again, this was probably before their announcement of adding more FC seats (on RJ's that is).
    Thank you very little!!

8. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    CO was able to justify removing coach, since they carry a lot of executives, due to the fact they have the largest hub in the NYC area, along with their reasonable FC fares. Thus they actually make a lot off their FC cabin, as I'm sure you have heard all of the complaints about CO elites struggling to get upgrades at times.

9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, and then they kindly sent lots of 319s to MSP in exchange for our paid for DC-9s, which always had good upgrade odds. Not nice.

Sent from my iPad using milepoint