Economy Comfort coming fleet-wide

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Wandering Aramean, Oct 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=43&item=1476
    http://boardingarea.com/blogs/thewanderingaramean/2011/10/delta-expands-economy-comfort-deployment/

Delta is going fleet-wide - including the 2-cabin RJs - with the EC product. A minimum of 34" pitch in 3-5 rows on most domestic aircraft. Still not as many seats as UA offers with the config but a nice move. Price point will be $19-99 and Gold/Plat/Diamond/Full fare will get it for free while Silver gets it for 50% off at booking or free at OLCI.

It will be interesting to see where they find the 10-20" of space without removing many rows of seats. If they remove a row on every plane then they should be able to do more like 6-8 rows of EC seating but they say it will only be 3-5 rows and "negligible" seat removal.

rwoman and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very nice. That makes Delta a lot more attractive to me.

rwoman likes this.
  3. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sure seems like DL is copying UA in this regard - must mean they see that UA is stealing high-yield passengers and/or successfully monetizing Y+
    Sounds like they plan to remove closets or galley space to create the space for the extra legroom. UA's former TED A320 have an extra six Y seats compared to the non-TED A320's, and I think that extra row comes from removing closet and galley space.

rwoman likes this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I cannot think of any aircraft where the galley or closet space is only 10-20" though. That's the part I am having trouble with.

5. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I forgot about DL going with Y+. This is something very interesting to me.

rwoman likes this.
  6. SkyBuck

SkyBuck Silver Member

Status Points:
    Reducing the remaining 20 rows by 1" each would do it. Never mind, let's not give them any ideas.

rwoman likes this.
  7. dsldog400

dsldog400 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are there any regular domestic segments with EC seating on international assigned DL metal, other than the A-330 & 777 ones?

rwoman likes this.
  8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Delta currently runs an international config 752 on some transcons to/from JFK so those have it as well. And many more will start to have it beginning in November.

rwoman likes this.
  9. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also, as with the international fleet, the domestic a/c will slowly appear with EC as they prepare the birds for the formal roll out.

:)

10. N670DN
    Original Member

N670DN Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can you move up to EC at booking?

11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That will be available based on their announcement as I understand it. Depending on status there may be a charge.

12. N670DN
    Original Member

N670DN Silver Member

Status Points:
    Gotcha. I'm assuming the upgrade price will depend on bucket booked, flight length, etc.

13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Likely just stage length, not fare class, for the pricing.

14. Ryan Bingham
    Original Member

Ryan Bingham Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've confirmed the Airbus 320's are losing the 4th row of first class. Reports on "another" frequent flier website that MD90's are going back to F12 is erroneous. I'm not surprised in the least bit as Delta totally screwed up their ability to gracefully swap out a 320 with a 319 when the latter fleet went to F12. This now gives Delta the flexibility NWA had for years with the same-sized first class cabin on the 320/319 and mixing and matching the aircraft based on loads for individual days. The 319's are also getting the long-expected extra row of coach.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  15. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just means avoid the A320/319 ;)

traveller99 likes this.
  16. bennos

bennos Silver Member

Status Points:
    The 320 and 319 make up such a small portion of the fleet, and Delta hasn't really worried about changing equipment during swaps impacting seatmaps in the past, that I suspect they don't care very much about this.

17. m124

m124 Silver Member

Status Points:
    For the elites eligible for free EC at booking, I am wondering how that will be possible if booking through a 3rd party travel agent, such as Orbitz/Travelocity/Expedia/etc.

18. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The OTAs won't have access to those seats at booking based on how the GDSes work today. You can log in to delta.com to change it. And the recent deal between Amadeus and United suggests that the GDSes are moving towards being able to do this sort of thing but it isn't there yet.