Economy class travel: is it getting better or worse?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Aug 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.terminalu.com/editors-column/economy-class-travel-is-it-getting-better-or-worse/14826/

Economy class travel: the pits or a cheap wonder?

It’s a question that divides frequent flyer communities and a topical issue, as new innovations in economy – from Air New Zealand’s Skycouches to Delta’s new ‘Comfort Class’ – shake-up perceptions by offering a more dignified experience at the back, without the sky-high business class prices.

Of course there’s no getting away from the general mentality that flying in economy has become an increasingly unpleasant experience: the idea that airlines treat those at the back as herds of cattle waiting to be transported as cargo, rather than passengers wanting a little pampering.

Crowded planes, poor legroom and declining onboard service are common euphemisms describing today’s economy class experience.

Then again, there’s no shortage of people who are happy to forgo a glass of champagne, five-course meal and social status to wrestle into an economy seat – if it’s going to net them a huge saving, and still take them to the same destination.

Read More: http://www.terminalu.com/editors-column/economy-class-travel-is-it-getting-better-or-worse/14826/

mynameismud, uggboy and rwoman like this.
  2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think what (some) people will tolerate has changed...largely drien by the LCC's. I'd rather fly DL, BA, AA, KL, AF or another legacy carrier when I travel....especially since fares tend to compete with the LCC's and there is some remnant of service.

I can usually get my LHR-STR flights on BA for about the same price as GermanWings STN-STR...except with BA, the bag is included, I get a beverage/snack, etc....oh and the legroom is a bit better on BA. For November and December it was actually cheaper to fly BA over 4U!

uggboy, slice19 and sobore like this.
  3. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Real estate (space) is still what I need on a flight. I still get that on Air Canada in economy. I can forego meals, drinks.

uggboy, sobore and ACMM like this.
  4. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree. AC economy is head and tail above other carriers. Plus they treat me right. ;)

[Sent from my milePoint enabled iPhone]

uggboy and milchap like this.
  5. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep, space is #1 on my list. When I see a good fare on a carriers with less than 32 inches of seat pitch it's time to spend a few $$ with another carrier. At that point price is out the window for me.

ctporter and (deleted member) like this.
  6. slice19
    Original Member

slice19 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I tend to agree, LCCs are making economy on standard airlines much more appealing. I wait for the LH sales before booking anything on Ryan Air or Easy Jet these days. 7-8 years ago, I would have went straight to the LCCs when they didn't make me pay so many additioanl fees there was a value to no frills, now it's just a headache I can avoid.

uggboy and rwoman like this.
  7. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think of my sister's comments about many of the LCC's...they are the "Greyhound of the skies." As with many LCC's, I do not think most people ever expected much of Greyhound. ;)

uggboy likes this.
  8. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    This depends on the airlines we choose and on our own standards we set plus on our pockets of course!;)

9. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good to know! Thanks!:)

10. mynameismud
    Original Member

mynameismud Gold Member

Status Points:
    Worse...

uggboy likes this.
  11. mynameismud