Ebola madness

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by estnet, Oct 23, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    So my neighbors, who are otherwise nice people, have decided that I need a quarantine for 21 days from their house - wait for it - because I traveled to Tangiers (Morocco)!!
    The level of paranoia, ignorance and general common sense astounds me. Of course they listen to R Limbaugh religiously every night and seem to believe whatever he says. Ability to reason doesn't seem to be their strong suit :(
    If this is how people are reacting when there is no real threat I can only imagine how badly our country (USA) will behave if there is actually anything real to fear.
    Is it the lack of general science education, reasoning ability or what that makes people so irrational?
    Rant over.

Gargoyle and Newscience like this.
  2. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    All good points. A function of an increasingly instantly connected 24/7 Twitter feeds and the news cycles. The constant chatter serves to ramp up needless fear. Our society demands no risk at all in life, which is not remotely possible. Those of us who travel the world have seen first-hand how much of the world lives under much more difficult circumstances. We need to get over ourselves and the collective DYKWIA attitude.

Gargoyle likes this.
  3. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    That sounds like sufficient reason to quarantine- don't allow them in your house, they could be contagious.

BTW, warn them against having any contact with anyone who has been in Dallas. It is an Ebola epicenter, after all.

Newscience likes this.
  4. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    VBG. I think I did ask if they would feel the same way if I had been in Texas ;). Or maybe I just thought it ( I do have to live next to them after all)

Gargoyle and Newscience like this.