eBay Bucks Makes Loyalty Program Changes

Discussion in 'Other Loyalty Programs' started by sobore, Dec 31, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://consumerist.com/2013/12/30/ebay-bucks-makes-loyalty-program-changes-annoys-loyal-customers/

eBay Bucks is a rewards and loyalty program meant to keep buyers shopping on eBay and using PayPal to pay for their purchases. Seems like a nice idea: lots of stores have loyalty programs. Shoppers and sellers alike are angry at eBay, though, after learning about some big changes to the program that begin in the first quarter of 2014.

Program members earn 2% in “bucks” on each purchase. In an email to program members, eBay announced that customers will now forfeit their rewards balance for the quarter if they don’t earn more than $5. That means that in order to earn any rewards at all, customers have to spend more than $250 on eBay.

Read More: http://consumerist.com/2013/12/30/ebay-bucks-makes-loyalty-program-changes-annoys-loyal-customers/

2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ouch! :(

Max M and MSYgirl like this.
  3. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's not an insurmountable ouch for those who use eBay Bucks leveraged with purchasing eBay gift cards for gas discounts at grocery stores (or office supply stores for bonus points on select cards), then using the eBay gift cards to procure other gift cards one might need at a discount. I benefit greatly from discounts at Lowes/Home Depot as well as discounts on Sears/KMart cards; one of my houses is by one of the dozen KMart gas stations. ;)

uggboy likes this.
  4. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think if you are doing that much work $250/quarter ebay spend isn't going to be that hard. Also the bigger blow was motors being removed imo.

5. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're quite the gambler.

I'm leery of buying a gift card from eBay for fear that there would be issues with the gift card not working properly or not getting the gift card you expected. Sure, eBay and PayPal will stand behind you, but it's a hassle to start an investigation with either PayPal and/or eBay. I say this because I once purchased a Cheesecake Factory giftcard from GiftCards.com and when receiving the gift card in the mail, it had a balance of $100. However once I went to the restaurant, we found that the gift card had a $0 balance on it--- someone drained the gift card. Thankfully, GiftCards.com stood behind the sale and offered us a full refund, and the processs was painless. When I had someone on eBay falsify negative feedback on an item they claimed they never received, I had to go through multipule hoops with eBay. Sure, eBay corrected the issue, but I wouldn't want to have to ever file a dispute for a bogus gift card issue from an eBay seller.