EB points on domestic flights in Norway, dare we hope?

Discussion in 'SAS | EuroBonus' started by torbster, Feb 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. torbster
    Original Member

torbster Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looks like SAS is really pushing to get the ban on frequent flyer miles on domestic flights in Norway lifted.

The Norwegian Competition Authority begun a new evaluation of the ban in December 2010, following the development of the market, where Norwegian Air shuttle since it's start in 2002 has grown to be equal in size to SAS on most major domestic routes - which means the situation now is completely different from when the ban was first introduced.

In addition, SAS has made an appeal against the state of Norway to the EFTA Surveillance Authority (ESA), the grounds being that the ban may be a violation of the EEA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Economic_Area).

http://www.aftenposten.no/reise/nyheter/article4002606.ece

The appeal was made in Nov10, but has not been made known until now and the ESA gave Norway a deadline of March 1st to come up with an answer.
    A decision from ESA can lead to Norway being forced to lift the ban from 2002.

I don't want to get my hopes up, but could be big news for us who fly SK mainly domestic, without a single point to show for it.

2. tosc
    Original Member

tosc Silver Member

Status Points:
    That'll be quite nice! For example via Wideroe's Explore Norway Tickets you could probably earn SK *G quite easily :)

3. Fredrik
    Original Member

Fredrik Silver Member

Status Points:
    40 segments? I would think that the points requirement for Norway based members would rise to equal Sweden.

4. LN-MOW
    Original Member

LN-MOW Silver Member

Status Points:
    That would be quite a mileage run! :) But I wouldn't be surprised to see some booking classes extempted from earning, We'll see what they come up with.

5. tosc
    Original Member

tosc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, i bought an Explore Norway Ticket last year and made it to 32 flights, 62 starts/landings and still had days within the validity of the ticket without even a single flight ;) It's been much fun though! But yeah, we'll see :)

6. torbster
    Original Member

torbster Silver Member

Status Points:
    pretty sweet deal :) never tried it myself, but I see the price (ca 480 euros) is similar to what I pay flying eco ie. bergen-evenes-bergen (west-north-west), and for that price you get unlimited domestic flights for 14 days, you could do some serious damage if the EB-ban is lifted ;)

does any other airlines have something similar to this?

OY-JFS and cockpitvisit like this.
  7. SK2868
    Original Member

SK2868 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think JetBlue has a "fly as much as you want" during summertime in the States... Don't know if they'll have it this summer though.

8. LN-FHU
    Original Member

LN-FHU Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully the ban on earning EB-points for domestic flights in Norway will be lifted.Now that their closest rivals -Norwegian Air Shuttle- is well established, the ban is now only silly. The reasons for having this ban is just not there anymore....

tosc likes this.
  9. SK2868
    Original Member

SK2868 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't really understand why NAX is still whining about the ban, as they also have a "frequent-flyer programme"...

10. LN-FHU
    Original Member

LN-FHU Silver Member

Status Points:
    As I said....The original reason is not there anymore, so I'm just as dumbfounded as you.... Let's all hope they collect their marbles and loose this stupid ban ASAP [​IMG]

11. Merlin
    Original Member

Merlin Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since 1 October last year you can earn Eurobonus points in Norway provided you buy your groceries at Norgesgruppen and your car fuel at Shell and use your a Trump - eh Trumf card [​IMG]

12. Hello! My first post, and this seems like an interesting forum!

I think the main reason why NAS is against miles on domestic flights is that their Norwegian Reward programme isn't as strong and well-established as EB is, with different airline, car-rental and hotel partners etc.

Anyways, I would welcome a lift on this frequent-flyer mileage ban we have in Norway now. I'm often on domestic flights within Norway, and I think it's ridiculous that you can earn miles/bonuspoints on anything but flights within Norwegian borders. And I would also sign up to Norwegians reward programme if the ban gets lifted.[​IMG]

13. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    They do, and Air Canada has some similar passes. One thing they have in common is highly restricted earning (eg a single fixed amount covering all flights on the pass), at least since MPer mtacchi earned 1 million miles on the first Air Canada pass.

14. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    I remember seeing an article the other day on domestic market concentration for EU airlines and Norway was nowhere near the worst.

15. Sounds like an interesting article. Do you have a link?

16. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Microwave likes this.
  17. Thanks! (And the sound was really annoying, so thank you for warning me [​IMG])

18. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're welcome.

19. LN-MOW
    Original Member

LN-MOW Silver Member

Status Points:
    The ban was implemented by Norwegian consumer agency Kunkurransetilsynet to protect Norwegian when they were starting up. However, as we now all clearly can see, the need for such protection is no longer present and as such, the ban could be lifted. The signals are now more positive, and there is a chance it will go away already this year.

20. LN-FHU
    Original Member

LN-FHU Silver Member

Status Points:
    LN-MOW - i couldn't agree more.

LN-MOW likes this.
  21. jetsetter
    Original Member

jetsetter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can't wait till we start collecting points domestically. It sucks that all my business flights within Norway don't count for nothing.

22. Tor Viking
    Original Member

Tor Viking Silver Member

Status Points:
    Get the Liberals to run Norway and changes will be made!! [​IMG]

23. torbster
    Original Member

torbster Silver Member

Status Points:
    The NCA may advise on the law and enforce it, but it will still be up to the ministry of government adm, reform and church affairs to change it. Actually I think konkurransetilsynet (NCA) agrees with us on this matter (atleast SAS claim that they do) and is positive to a change at this point..

24. Merlin
    Original Member

Merlin Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wasn't it a conservative minister that headed this ban Tor Viking? Victor Norman to be more exact.

25. BGO-commuter
    Original Member

BGO-commuter Silver Member

Status Points:
    You are correct Merlin.. Mr. Norman was part of implementing this ban, and it was under a conservative government. That being said, it was under review in our current government and they elected to keep the regulation as is.
    Since I commute heavily domestic, I of course would like this to be changed. I shouldn't keep my breath though!