EB Points and Longhaul Cash Upgrade at check-in with Swiss

Discussion in 'SAS | EuroBonus' started by LNv22, Jul 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Hi folks,

I'm flying LX41 LAX - ZRH 7th september 2011 and plan to quote for an upgrade (Y -> C) with cash at check-in. Swiss tend to offer this on flights between USA and ZRH.

My question is: will i earn EB points as in my original economy booking, or will i be able to earn EB points as in business?

The reason I'm asking is that I have heard from others that it should work to get business earning in this case.
    However, when I upgraded with cash at check-in on a flight from BKK to HKG with Thai in 2009, EuroBonus retro registration would only credit me with points as in economy, see e-mail from SAS EB retro registration:

"In the case of upgrade (TG628/10DEC) to another class, points are earned according to original booking class."

and

"Our partner has confirmed that TG 628 10Dec09 BKKHKG is not valid for accrual of EuroBonus points."

Is it up to the airline (ie.Swiss, Thai..) to decide this, or is it EuroBonus' decision? Does anyone have experience with cash upgrades and Swiss from the U.S to ZRH?

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The first sentence you quote sounds like a statement from your FF program's T & C, which you should read carefully with your question in mind. Unless the rules have changed since your TG flight, I would think that you would not earn extra miles for the cash upgrade you have in mind.

As a general rule, FF programs give miles based on the fare purchased, not taking account of upgrades unless the means to upgrade is paying the fare difference in full (as SQ tends to require for an "upgrade"). For instance, DL sometimes asks on their website whether one wants to upfare to discounted FC (or to full Y) when booking and these tickets would earn the FC miles, but FC purchased for cheap at the gate on the day of travel does not get any additional miles.

3. Thanks for the reply,

However, if I pay CHF 1500 at the check-in counter, I would say it would be quite unfair to just earn the miles from economy class...

Maybe it is possible to get a sort of "prior statement" from EB regarding this.

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If the one way upgrade is this much money, you should check what it would cost to have your ticket refared in advance. This way the upgrade would be confirmed, you would get all the ground handling benefits of the upgrade, and you would earn miles, including status miles, at the new fare class. Airlines sometimes waive change fees when you're upfaring or upfaring to a higher cabin class.