EAU on Mileage ticket now in effect!

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by benolaa, Apr 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. benolaa
    Original Member

benolaa Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just got upgraded on a mileage ticket in coach I am a Platinum member with a Presidential Plus Chase Card. I hope this is permanent!!

druiddation, theBOAT, Chimpy and 2 others like this.
  2. benolaa
    Original Member

benolaa Gold Member

Status Points:
    As an update the return flight did not clear and I was not added to the airport standby list so it must only work in EAU and not on the battlefield.

druiddation likes this.
  3. theBOAT
    Original Member

theBOAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anyone else have any experience with reward ticket upgrades? Seems odd that there wouldn't be an announcement.

theBOAT

4. benolaa
    Original Member

benolaa Gold Member

Status Points:
    druiddation likes this.
  5. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Could have been a case of opup due to overbooked coach cabin.

6. benolaa
    Original Member

benolaa Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not an OPUP no such thing until the gate and these upgrades were 24 hours in advance.

druiddation likes this.
  7. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    If flight is heavily overbooked, flight control will move elites into F ahead of gate activity.

8. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    Highly unlikely on CO.

The benefit of elite upgrades on reward tickets was mentioned mid to late last year by CO Insider (now UA Insider).

9. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here's one datapoint:
    UA ticket stock, one-way mileage plus award, CO metal, UA 1K number listed (not my matched CO Plat number). I do have a Chase Mileage Plus Club Card which seems the rough equivalent to the Presidential Plus card. Noticed when I checked in the night before that I showed up on the upgrade waitlist. At the time, economy was listed as full, first as available with the flight being pretty oversold. Fast forward to morning of flight with the flight under gate control when after volunteering to be bumped the mobile site showed me as being upgraded to F and then about ten minutes later I got the VDB.

10. bucketlist
    Original Member

bucketlist Silver Member

Status Points:
    Some more data points.
    Used a CO award flight to reposition, MSY-iah-EWR for my $780 Tokyo + 4 nights hotel deal w/ no upgrades so far.
    Booked the flight on co.com, status matched to Pt on Co (from 1K), used the Chase One Pass Plus credit card that SO and I got for that purpose (upgrade awards), had my CO FF # in the reservation.

In the last week I've been told the following versions:
    #1 - you can't upgrade an award
    #2 - it's automatic, you will be on the upgrade list
    #3 - it should have put me on the list - they'll do so manually
    #4 - this doesn't go into effect yet
    #5 - this only applies to Presidential Plus, not One Pass Plus
    #6 (at gate) - you're on the list, but the upgrade didn't clear.

I certainly understand not clearing IAH - EWR, but MSY-IAH was wide open a day before departure, from which I infer that I wasn't on the list or was on the list, but after the paid silvers.

Strangely, when we use miles from an elite bucket to award friends/family, their saver awards generate tickets w/ "elite access". A glitch that CO apparently is aware of but not too anxious to fix.

I rarely book awards for myself (need the status miles), but this enhancement made it much more interesting to sometimes book an award and hope for an upgrade. The point of these extra data points is that you're trying to upgrade an award using your Chase card, call early, call often and don't expect much, so you won't be disappointed.