Eating Out on the Cheap

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by RestlessLocationSyndrome, Jul 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    In case any of you don't know, there is a great way to eat out and try new restaurants with a good discount.
    Restaurant.com sells $25 gift certificates for $10 which often require only a minimum tab of $35 to qualify for use. There is an 18% gratuity charged from the full price of the meal but I have often found that the service has been good or better when using the certificate since the waiters/waitresses know that they'll be getting a good tip. Assuming your average meal tab comes up to $38, you're talking about a total of $50 including tax & tip. Once you subtract the $25 gift certificate, you're payment outside the certificate is roughly 50%.

The question is how do you get the Restaurant.com certificates cheap enough to make it worth it? Well, if you go through Ebates.com, they often have deals/coupons where they are selling the Restaurant.com certificates at 70% off the normal price (which happens to be $10 for a $25 cert). Thus, you're only buying a $25 certificate for $3. But wait, Ebates also offers 15% cash back on all purchases from Restaurant.com. Thus, your actual cost for the $25 cert is now just $2.55.

All in all, if you dine out as described above, you'll end up paying just $27.55 for a $50 meal and save over 40%. I have done this multiple times in the past while at home and on the road and have thoroughly enjoyed the discount.

For those of you not already signed up on Ebates, please use my referral link below... I'd appreciate it.
    http://www.ebates.com/rf.do?referrerid=MZr/DLProANDqa3HMRSY8w==

Enjoy.

mht_flyer likes this.
  2. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't forget to sign up for a dining rewards program and check to see if they participate as well. If they use open table, yet another rewards opportunity.

3. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for mentioning that part. Yes, you can also stack the Open Table rewards (from making a reservation) as well as your Airline's Dining Rewards (via linked credit card) on top of the Restaurant.com certificate at the restaurant. Not a requirement for me, just a nice extra bonus once I've found restaurants I'm interested in.