Easyjet to offer free flights for late arrivals

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by uggboy, Sep 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Easyjet to offer free flights for late arrivals:)

Passengers travelling on the Easyjet’s new Flexi Fare whose arrivals are delayed by more than 15 minutes will now receive a free leisure ticket to anywhere on Easyjet’s network.

The carrier’s CEO Carolyn McCall announced the new offer for business passengers at this week’s World Low Cost Airlines Conference in London.

McCall said that increasing the number of business travellers flying with Easyjet was a “key element of our strategy”, and added that on routes like Glasgow-London business travellers accounted for around 40 per cent of passengers.

The carrier recently launched a Flexi Fare aimed at the business traveller, with benefits including speedy boarding, unlimited ticket changes and one piece of hold luggage.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/easyjet-to-offer-free-flights-for-late-arrivals

Kalboz, sobore and TRAVELSIG like this.
  2. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    What a great idea by Easyjet. I have a number of colleagues who are using them now due to schedule more than anything else (the Flexi Fare is wonderful for flexibility however is basically the same price as a full Y fare on a legacy).

Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  3. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    If only legacies offered this benefit on full fare tickets (but wait, it would probably send them out of business with all the free tickets they'd have to give out)

4. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I recall United had a "United business" offer on Y/B fares on certain routes (like ORD/MSP) where you received something if they were late- if I am not wrong it was 1000 miles however it was pre-merger (now you get a free peanut). I picked up quite a few miles this way...

Trenitalia (the trains in Italy) have a system where if you are on the fastest trains (Freccia Bianca, Rosso, Eurostar) and you are late more than 20 minutes you can have a rebate between the fare paid and the slower train fare (there is usually a premium of ~30%)- the application for the rebate however is not that easy- I did it once just to see if it was possible- and indeed I got the refund of ~10 EUR after 16 weeks or so :)

This offer will tempt me more to Easyjet however- a fantastic option for example on the VCE/FCO routes in Italy and the cost of flexifare is only 20 EUR more than restrictive (not lowest offer but 3-5 day in advance) fares typically.

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    NW had some sort of a guarantee for their FastTrack service between MSP and ORD; it was run as a sort of fancy shuttle flight pre 9/11 with assigned seats, including FC, usually on a DC-9. At meal times, there was a buffet in the gate area and full fare passengers got lounge access and in coach, got drink coupons IIRC,

The problem with this offer is that your apology/reward for a bad Easyjet flight is another Easyjet flight, just like getting miles or certs rather than cash when something goes wrong on a legacy. It's better to follow the EU or IDB rules and give cash rather than tying the displeased passenger to the airline at fault.