Easy to set up wireless IP camera

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by mdtravel, Jul 13, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. mdtravel

mdtravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am looking for an easy to set up wireless indoor camera to use as a baby monitor and to be able to see my daughter when I'm traveling if possible...so use on and outside my home network
    I'm not nearly as savvy with technology as a lot of you are, but I'm not just a surfer / Word user either.
    I bought and returned a Foscam (http://tinyurl.com/7kvhnjc"). The install got in a perpetual loop on an Active X install on two different PC's and the instructions were minimally helpful.

Can anyone recommend an easy to set up camera...or is there such a thing?

2. Vik Murthy
    Original Member

Vik Murthy Silver Member

Status Points:
    mdtravel likes this.
  3. mdtravel

mdtravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I ended up getting a Dropcam and had it installed in less than 5 minutes. it is working perfectly for what I want and I could not be happier. I don't understand why Foscam can't get the install down the way these folks have...it is amazingly simple. There aren't a ton of features and it is an entry level camera, but man is it easy...just what I needed.

4. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Foscam setup can be a mess, and they aren't that reliable- I have to reboot them regularly, and sometimes reconnect them to the router to wake up the connection. However, two things on the plus side- they cost half as much as the dropcam, a third or a fourth the price of many others, and they have a very active and helpful user fourm at foscam.us
    If you can connect with an ethernet cable they are easy.
    The active x only works with IE, you can use FF without that and it's fine.