Easy FRA transfer technique for newbies, people who are hurried or tired

Discussion in 'FRA | Frankfurt International Airport' started by jbcarioca, Aug 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    For newbies especially FRA can be quite tiresome, confusing and with very long walks. It took me a few transfers to understand that the onmipresent free golf carts are not only for handicapped people. You can ask any security or gate person to arrange one. There are two enormous benefits, apart from the convenience of not walking for an eternity.
    1) The carts pass through separate security lines so there is generally zero wait.
    2) They take you between terminals and concourses very quickly (C16 to B22 took me only seven minutes a few days ago this way. The last time I walked it I needed 35 minutes, most of it waiting in security lines)
    The people who drive the carts are very helpful and kind, as are most people at FRA.

rwoman, Valentine and JohnDeere19 like this.
  2. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Excellent points jbcarioca. By the way- my record C16 to A42 without help is 14 minutes.

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have made it in far less time also, but only when the security lines were fast. Those are really hard to plan at FRA, for me anyway.

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  4. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very true- some mornings (not that often fortunately) I get the feeling there is a kind of "work to rule" protest going on as the people working there couldn't move that slowly unless it was intentional (I actually asked them about it the last time I was there and they smiled when I asked which served to sort-of confirm my thinking).

I know I am in the minority, however I actually like FRA better than MUC or ZRH and definitely more than the (far too much) much lauded (for the world of me I don't know why) AMS.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am in a minority too. My European transit preference is CDG after which i really do not care, unless I am LH F, in which case I favor FRA. Intra-Europe MUC is always quite OK for me too.

My only do not fly interline transfer airports are LIS and LHR. Otherwise I find them all adequate, but none hold a candle to good Asian airports like SIN and HKG.

6. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    VCE is a good little airport by the way and is getting more flights all the time.

savydog and jbcarioca like this.
  7. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have actually never been there.

8. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good excuse to go now :)

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. NE Flyer

NE Flyer Active Member

Status Points:
    Are there premium passenger security lines at FRA when doing inter-terminal transfers?

10. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Getting a ride in FRA was nearly impossible for me as a SQ F passenger in August... and I had a broken toe that made walking very painful. I waited for 20 minutes at the ticket counter with several carts going by carrying airline people only. Even the SQ supervisor was unsuccessful.

11. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    IME onle at the FCT and for the carts.
    That is horrible. I have not previously heard of such problems there, but it is true that LH rules the roost and other *A are often left to fend for themselves. That should not affect the carts, especially for an injured person.

12. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes- look for the red and blue signs that read "First Class, Business Class, Star Alliance Gold" and proceed there. A near checkin also has a separate clearance area only for F/*G.

jbcarioca likes this.
  13. somempire

somempire Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am flying in from MUC-FRA on LH then FRA-ORD on UA and my connection time is 40 mins. Will I have to go through passport/security/customs?

14. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure if you'll have to re-clear security, but as you're going Schengen to non-Schengen, you should clear passport control.

jbcarioca likes this.
  15. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Security is cleared in Munich so reclearance in Frankfurt will not be required. 40 minutes however is below MCT- how was it possible to ticket this?

jbcarioca likes this.
  16. somempire

somempire Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good question that I cannot answer but ask the US Airways agent that booked my flight (LOL).

jbcarioca likes this.
  17. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    BTW, MCT at FRA for DOM_Intl is 45 minutes. Very few airline schedule that tightly. If your inbound is on time and you pay attention you'll have time to make the connection without panic. of course if your inbound is late all bets are off. Do figure out precisely at which gate you'll arrive and depart so you can plan your route ahead of time. If it is far you really will need to plan your route. At FRA it is easy to get lost, but there is good information available to plan your route. With luck you'll have nearby gates.

18. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes through immigration and security. Also likely some distance between gates. I'd try to take an earlier MUC-FRA flight - 40 minutes is not enough at FRA.

jbcarioca likes this.
  19. somempire

somempire Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looks like I am SOL on this one because this is the earliest flight they have.

jbcarioca likes this.
  20. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it was ticketed before the US team knew the schedule change of 1 Jan, which made the flight a crucial few minutes later, thus under legal minimum connecting times.
    Were i in your shoes I'd go the night before and stay overnight at FRA. The mess of missing the flight will far outweigh that extra cost and hassle. US should help, it was their error, after all.

21. somempire

somempire Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just checke
    Thanks for the help! I just checked flights out of MUC-FRA on Jan. 2nd and there are no flights after 7:55 pm. Our flight from BKK-MUC arrives at 8pm.

jbcarioca likes this.
  22. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you need to go to MUC? If not try for BKK-FRA. US may need to call TG or LH to open up a seat, but as it is an involuntary change (due to airline schedule change) this should be possible unless the flights are completely full.

jbcarioca likes this.
  23. somempire

somempire Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, I do not need to fly to MUC. I chose MUC because it was the only F class seats available from BKK. However, I have booked a non-refundable hotel but I rather lose that money than miss a flight home. My outbound fly is on Dec 23. The flight that I am worried about will be on Jan. 3rd.

jbcarioca likes this.
  24. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    For 1 Jan TG 922 shows F4 A4 and TG920 shows F2 A1 on ExpertFlyer. Although there is no explicit award availability for TG there (neither they nor LH provide that data) it looks plausible. I suggest talking with US right now, because you're making an involuntary change based on the original US erroneous booking. Polite but firm might get you an ideal solution.

somempire likes this.
  25. somempire

somempire Silver Member

Status Points:
    Another option that I can do is lose F class and fly C class on LH from FRA-ATL that way we can take a later flight from MUC-FRA

jbcarioca likes this.