Eastin Grand Sathorn- thoughts?

Discussion in 'Thailand' started by eponymous_coward, Mar 12, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  2. OY-JFS
    Original Member

OY-JFS Gold Member

Status Points:
    I stayed at the Chatrium Riverside the other day, and I was disappointed. I paid US$95++ for a 70 m2 cityview suite, which at that price does give it some value. 60m2 suites were available at $92++.

eponymous_coward, uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    You were disappointed, what was the problem exactly, thanks for deliberating.

Kalboz and eponymous_coward like this.
  4. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    And now I'm vacillating about it.

Centrepoint Sukhumvit 10

Pros to Eastin: looks like a really nice hotel/swimming pool, right smack on BTS, nicely positioned for the temples (which after multiple trips to Bangkok, have not done).

Pros to Centrepoint Suk 10: washing machine in room (I'll be on a two week trip out of a carryon, so laundry becomes necessary), close in to Suk Soi 11, save $50.

I contemplated Centrepoint Soi 21 as well...

uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  5. OY-JFS
    Original Member

OY-JFS Gold Member

Status Points:
    1) Location. No restaurants nearby, except some street kitchens, and the overpriced ones at the hotel. Far away from everything.
    2) The check-in procedure. Asked me to sit down and wait. Took at least 5 minutes, before they came back to me. Total check in time 20+ minutes.
    3) In Bangkok and Thailand, I love the hospitaly and genuine smiles. At Chatrium, I felt it was more robotic.
    4) The swimmingpool. Looks so amazing at the website, while it really is just an average pool.

The gym is ok, the views are nice, the bed is really good, internet is fast and free, balcony is perfect.
    The stay gave me 20 Bangkok Airways points (a domestic oneway flight costs 100), so that is also decent. (A stay in the 60m2 suites gives you 10p, so that was another reason to pay the few extra $).

With so many fantastic hi-end hotels in BKK, I just think it is overrated, and doesn't belong in TA's top20.

uggboy, Kalboz and eponymous_coward like this.
  6. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Then nominate some. I am more than willing to entertain other possibilities. I'm not in the $300-500 USD/9000-15000 THB range per night, but if you have better suggestions in the $90-150 USD/2700-4500 THB a night price range...

uggboy, OY-JFS and Kalboz like this.
  7. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Adding to what's mentioned above, I believe the Eastin Sathorn is a great base to explore Bangkok. Situated in an area where many hi-so Catholic and international schools are located and next to the Blue Elephant Thai Restaurant and cooking school. There is a Healthland Sathorn branch across the street on the other side of the BTS station.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
    eponymous_coward and uggboy like this.
  8. OY-JFS
    Original Member

OY-JFS Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am actually browsing the market, as I am going to Bangkok tomorrow. Here are a few suggestions (rates for tomorrow night):
    Plaza Athenee $131++
    Le Meridien Bangkok $118++
    Intercontinental THB3888++ (with corporate code (PM me, if you can't find this rate)), THB5015++ (without code).

I have not stayed at Le Meridien Bangkok, but reviews are good.

Fous Seasons goes for $127 on Agoda.com for tomorrow night. I would also like to try the Aloft on Sukhumvit soi 11, because I love the location. I have stayed at most of the hotels at soi 11. LeFenix (former Accor) has rates as low as THB1444++.

9. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your insights shared on MP. :)

eponymous_coward, OY-JFS and Kalboz like this.
  10. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Interesting list... mostly Western chains, though. Not to say I haven't stayed in Western chains on previous trips, though:

- Millennium Hilton Bangkok
    - Aloft Bangkok Soi 11 ;) Location is indeed good. That being said, the prices for my date are pretty "eh" ($85 a night all in).
    - Four Points Sheraton Bangkok
    - Pullman Bangkok King Power (and the prices there are right about what I'll pay for the Eastin Grande).

All of those stays were wind-aided with tricks, though, like using Accor Platinum from a promo+ 2000 Accor points (+300 THB) to upgrade from the low-end Pullman King Power room to a suite, or cash and points at the Starwood properties (back when there were real deals on that), or PointsStretcher on Hilton ;). I have SPG Gold and Hilton Gold... but I am not all that interested in western breakfast (though the Pullman King Power's brunch was pretty great when I was there). Street food is fine. So are local chains. :)

Kalboz, OY-JFS and uggboy like this.
  11. OY-JFS
    Original Member

OY-JFS Gold Member

Status Points:
    I stayed at the Millennium Hilton, just after it opened, and haven't returned. I experienced a few hiccups, probably because it was new then. Also, it is at the "wrong" side of the river.

Pullman King Power is an excellent hotel. I stayed there twice as Accor Plat, in the service is impeccable. Location is not great, though. And I don't bother getting Accor Plat again.

BTW, I ended up booking Holiday Inn Sukhumvit soi 22 for tonight. It is one of these illogical things when chain loyalty plays with your mind. And I do need one more Saturday night stay for my Big Win. :rolleyes:

Kalboz, eponymous_coward and uggboy like this.
  12. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I've gone ahead and booked Adelphi Suites on Sukhumvit Soi 8 and kept the Eastin Grand reservation for the moment while I make up my mind.

Adelphi Suites might be the winner, though, right across from Soi 11, looks really nice, has the washing machine in suite. Though I might change my mind... ;)

13. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I changed my mind yet again... this time pulling the trigger on the MGallery VIE on the current Accor sale- $75 USD a night all-in looked good enough for me...

OY-JFS, Kalboz and uggboy like this.