Easter Island Dec 2011

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by thefitworldtraveler, Jan 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. thefitworldtraveler
    Original Member

thefitworldtraveler Silver Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]
    First one off the plane

I know a lot of people here burned their BA miles prior to the Avios program going into effect. So, I thought I’d share my recent trip to Easter Island as some of you may be heading there with BA miles.

I made a very simple routing going from JFK-SCL-IPC-SCL-JFK in J for 80K miles. I know this route is not maximizing my stopovers, but I didn’t have time to any stopovers except for a few days in Santiago.

As far as my activities on Easter Island, I made a blog post about it here:

http://www.thefitworldtraveler.com/easter-island-part-2-the-adventure

For those airline and points freaks, I saved those details for here as it bodes better for the readers of this forum.

Check in for LAN at JFK is at terminal 4 and it was a breeze thanks for the dedicated counter located adjacent to the economy counter. In Santiago, the dedicated check-in is located in a separate area, which across from door 6 on the departures hall.

[​IMG]
    Dedicated check-in area at SCL

After check-in at JFK, I headed over to the Oasis lounge since I arrived at the airport early. The downside about this lounge is that its located landside so allow extra time to go through security when it comes time to board.

My JFK-SCL segment was delayed about an hour due to the weather. So needless to say, I was late arriving in to SCL.

With the late arrival, the lines at reciprocity fee booth, and immigration line, I would have definitely missed my connecting flight to IPC if I had the morning flight. For this reason, I picked the afternoon flight (there’s two flight to IPC on Wednesdays, otherwise there’s only one flight everyday of the week except thurs where there’s none) when I planned this.

TIP:For us points freaks, the reciprocity fee of $140(per person for U.S. citizens) and this can be paid with a credit card so be sure to have your favorite no forex fee card on-hand. I used my chase sapphire preferred card and by what the CSR agent told me, it counts as a travel charge so I will earn 2 UR points per $1.

If you get stuck in a long line at the booth to pay the reciprocity fee, there are two locations to pay this fee. One is located on the same level as you arrived and the other is located on the lower level next to immigration. Knowing this will be extremely helpful if you have a tight connection.

LAN’s 767 J-class product boasts a 180 degree lie flat seats, which are pretty comfortable to sleep in. My only grip is that even for my slender frame, they are bit narrow because my knee kept hitting the AVOD controls located on the center arm rests.

[​IMG]
    Watching 30 Rock

[​IMG]
    LAN FA's

The food is subjective, but I had no problems with the quality of the meals, though after 4 segments in relatively short periods, the menu kind of gets old. Although I'm not much of wine connoisseur, I liked the Malbec and Sauvignon Blanc during the meals

[​IMG]
    Contents of the amenities kit

This is the amenity kit that they offer on their JFK-SCL segment. On the SCL-IPC segment, I received a smaller kit with less of what is shown in the picture.

Sorry for the lack of pictures of the J class in-service meals, but I hope this helps some folks out for their upcoming trip.

SC Flier, daemon14 and violist like this.
  2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks.

3. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you were continuing to IPC, I'm under the impression that you don't have to pay the fee.

Did you stop in SCL for a few days? If so, then you pay the fee. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

We're flying JFK/LIM this year, continuing on to EZE. Do you have additional photos of the LAN business seat?

SC Flier likes this.
  4. thefitworldtraveler
    Original Member

thefitworldtraveler Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did stopover in SCL on my way back to JFK. However, on my way to Easter Island, I did not stopover in SCL. Easter Island is still considered a part of Chile, so the flight that departs to IPC from SCL departs from the domestic terminal. Therefore, anyone going to IPC still has to pay the reciprocity fee and go through passport control in SCL even if they are not stopping over.

Here's a picture of me in the business class seat as a frame of reference. I'm about 5'10 and 165 lbs

[​IMG]

traveler, daemon14 and dhammer53 like this.
  5. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the post and the blog post as well. I head to IPC in 5 weeks! Got the LIM-IPC sector, so won't have to pay the reciprocity fee I hope.

6. k_malm
    Original Member

k_malm Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is about when I am there too...Feb 22-26...are we there the same time?

7. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    thanks for the trip report and blog post. Easter Island is on my bucket list, but I want to use miles and don't have enough yet unfortunately.

You have reinforced what others have said about Easter Island - that 3 days is plenty of time - and that's also good to know.

8. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm there the week before.