Easter Island Accommodation recommendations?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by cheryld, Feb 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. cheryld
    Original Member

cheryld Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi,not sure if this is the right place to post this...but since so many have traveled to Easter Island recently - does anyone have a recommendation for a place to stay? Also, we will be there 4 days - is that a good amount of time or too much? Anyone stay at the Taura'a Hotel? Would appreciate any and all opinions on Easter Island! :)
    Thank you!

druiddation likes this.
  2. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My wife and I stayed at Te' Ora last April. At first I thought you made a typo and spelled the name wrong. :)
    We had 4 full days for siteseeing and it was the perfect amount of time. We hired a private guide for 2 days and had a car rental for the other 2. Due to limited flights, we needed to dedicate 6 days out of our trip to get the 4 full days on EI.

druiddation and philatravelgirl like this.
  3. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, I'm heading there in April. How did you find the guide? Through the hotel or other?

MLW20 likes this.
  4. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't remember for sure- I think the hotel, if you'd call it that (it has 3 rooms) mentioned him. He wrote a guide book on Easter Island and was an awesome guide. It was more like traveling around with a friend.

Where else are you going in Chile?

5. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Quasiconvexity Gold Member

Status Points:
    We stayed at the Altiplanico and found it quite nice. We stayed for three days and found that amount of time sufficient to explore the island. We didnt hire a guide (and didnt think we needed one) but hired a car for the duration of our stay and explored the island on our own (at times, we felt like we were the only people on the island, which was quite cool!)

Eating out can be expensive - we really enjoyed Kotaro (Japanese cuisine) - and would highly recommend it!

SC Flier and druiddation like this.
  6. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

LizzyDragon84 Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I went to EI, I was there about 3 days and saw almost everything. So 4 days is quite doable. I stayed at the Ana Rapeau (sp?) hotel, but would not recommend it.

My friend and I never got a guide- just rented a car to drive around the island which worked out pretty well.

druiddation likes this.
  7. philatravelgirl

Status Points:
    First time in South America, going quick trip to Santiago then Easter Island and then to Lima. Still trying to see if I can fit Cuzco in. Right now haven't done any research to see what to do/see anywhere. On my own so wasn't sure about car rental as I need someone to take my picture :)

druiddation likes this.
  8. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm at Machu Picchu right now, about to get on the train back to CUZ. I got to CUZ on Monday, came up here Tuesday, saw the ruins Tuesday afternoon, hiked Wayna Picchu this morning, and will be in Cusco tonight. Theoretically I could go back to LIM on Thursday morning but I'm staying a little bit in CUZ.

Some people on my train to MP on Tuesday were making same-day turns. The earliest trains get in around 10am, and the park closes at 5pm and there are trains a bit past 6pm with PeruRail.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

9. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are going to need a rental car or guide/ tour to get around. I usually don't hire guides but we found our guide to be really helpful to know and understand better what we were looking at. I think I said previously that we had a guide 2 days, car for the other 2.

We didn't love Santiago. I think we had 2- 2.5 days there. We spent a half day in Lima a few years back and enjoyed our time. There is a nice changing of the guard ceremony and we also visited a church that has an underground catacomb.

10. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
  11. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

LizzyDragon84 Gold Member

Status Points:
    For folks thinking of renting a car on Easter Island, keep in mind that most of them will be manual transmission. Some places offer automatics but at a much higher price. Also, car rental insurance isn't available from any rental places- apparently the insurance companies only insure island residents. Most accidents on the island are car vs. horse so be careful when driving by them.

MissBurrill and druiddation like this.
  12. dkelly1110
    Original Member

dkelly1110 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sean, my wife and I just got home from the Explora yesterday. We absolutely loved it; it is expensive, there is no doubt, but the quality of the excursions, the hospitality, and the food/drink is fantastic. Highly recommended!
    I will get around to posting a trip report sooner or (more likely) later, but feel free to start a conversation with me on any particulars you want answered sooner.

13. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just wrote a CUZ/IPC TR on the TOBB. Just finished it. It's under a different name but should be easy to find. If I have the energy & time, I'll try to bring it to MP. Next TR will def be posted on MP since it's a product of the US GS and I owe MP a lot for helping me figure out how to get those miles cheap.

Sean Colahan and druiddation like this.
  14. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the Trip Report. Will have to check it out.

15. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    N00B question...whats TOBB?

16. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    "The Other Bulletin Board," i.e. FT. I've seen it used a lot both here and there.

17. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ahhhhhh;-)

18. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think I found the post...did you just go, leaving on Super Bowl Sunday?

19. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You got it.

Direct link, now that I'm not on my iPhone.

20. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    GREAT trip report! Now I can't wait to go in August.

21. philatravelgirl

Status Points:
    This was a fantastic TR! I'm going next month and this was a great help, especially the passport stamp :) I'm looking at bike tours, wine, etc for Santiago and Lima so good to see what you did.

daemon14 and Sean Colahan like this.
  22. Misterstuf
    Original Member

Misterstuf Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great trip report. It's got me giddy for our May/June trip to Machu Picchu, Easter Island, and Buenos Aires. Since I'm still in the planning stage for finding hotels, do you mind telling us how you decided on which places to book, where you found them, and how much they cost?

23. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    For Cuzco, Machu Picchu, and Easter Island, I just looked at hostel booking engines like hostelworld.com, hostels.com, venere.com, etc., and chose by price/TripAdvisor score. My place in Cuzco was only about $20/night, though it was far from Plaza de Armas (which was only $1 to reach by taxi). It was also very very simple -- there are fancier hotels in the city, but they were way out of my price range, plus, how much time was I going to spend in my lodging?

My place near Machu Picchu was about $30 for the night, and I chose it because someone else on FT had a favorable review (though it was a bit of a hike up the hill that the town is on). It was called Terrazas del Inca and I'd definitely recommend it (again, if you don't mind that it's near the top of the hill toward the hot springs). I think my rate was for double occupancy as well.

In Easter Island, we were two people and paid $40/person/night, which was a deal considering other hotels wanted $60-80/person/night. However, we were there during the highest of high season. A lot of visitors just make arrangements when they land on the island. Also, I'm making a map for a friend of mine who's going next month and can share it here: GMap (the blue line are the "roads" that connect the town to the rest of the island). Obviously, there's tons of maps once you get there, but the lack of any spatial information before I went was kinda frustrating.

My one hotel night in Lima was the most expensive, at about $75 + 5000 Carlson points, but it worked out since I got the room for about 30 hours with early check-in/late check-out, and had an awesome breakfast.

24. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did you feel like you had enough time in CUZ? I hear that people recommend spending some time there before going to MP. I am thinking for MP about taking train to MP, spending overnight in the near town, next day early to MP, then that night train back to CUZ. How many nights/days do you recommend for CUZ?

25. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some people recommend a couple days at CUZ before MP to adjust to the altitude, even though CUZ is much higher than MP in elevation. One day at MP is fine, but traveling from CUZ to MP would take time. If you take a morning train, you get to MP/Aguas Calientes in the afternoon; if you take the night train the next day, you get to CUZ really late.

You could visit Ollantaytambo, which is between CUZ and MP and is a big Incan archaeological site. From there, there's a train that goes to MP.

CUZ itself is definitely an interesting city and I would recommend at least a couple of days there ... if you want to see the Sacred Valley, that'll take a day from Cuzco.