Easirent at EDI: first experience is good

Discussion in 'Other Car Rental Programs' started by redtailshark, May 24, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    When you search Priceline for rentals at EDI and other UK airports, you will see some very low rates offered by Easirent. I decided to test these guys out with a short rental to see how they worked: I've had both excellent (BEST @ SOF) and awful experiences (Goldcar @ BCN) with this type of operator before.

The actual facility is not in the rental car center with Hertz and so on. It's on the other side of the airport, out front and then right, in a parking lot.

Online reviews suggest lots of customers seem frustrated because of the 1200 GBP hold on their cards but this is all declared upfront. They blocked my Amex for this amount but the actual cost of two days of rental was only 25 GBP all-in. The charge is paid upfront, at time of res and you should pay attention to their cxl/refund policies because they aren't the same as the internationals. Short-notice cxl means a three-day rental cost penalty.

Also, the fandango for UK renters is out of hand with these 48 hour DL verifications they need to produce and the irony is, it's UK renters who hold the queue up with these requirements even though this is happening in the UK. It's much faster as Carmen Extranjera/Johnny Foreigner.

There were some people taken by surprise who didn't have the requisite documents and/or credit available on their cards for the block. It meant there was quite a long wait to process the line in the portakabin structure but the agents were polite and efficient.

I rented a midsize and was given a diesel Citroen wagon, quite suitable. I was careful to inspect and photograph the vehicle prior to driving away. While I do so, I have a habit of telling the rental agents Soy un viajero con mucha experiencia. He alquilado coches en lugares internacionales como MEX y GIG y BOG y BCN.... this ensures they know I'm not ready to be ripped off. In fact, then they know I am an *EXPERIENCED FREQUENT RENTER FROM INTERNATIONAL COMPANIES* and we all know where we stand (When I did this at MEX, it worked so well that the agent actually put a lot more random marks on the damage form than were actually there already (!) but I digress....)

The most amusing thing was that during this discussion, the young agent said, yes, know what you mean, I had that done to me by Goldcar at BCN...!! Muahaha! I explained why I burst out laughing - some of you know, I had the same exact problem there. Actually Goldcar are the worst, without doubt. Anyway he assured me Easirent would not be perpetrating any such scams (excessive gas charges/fraudulent scratch/chip levies etc.). Its one thing to say this and another to see the evidence, so I waited for a while after returning the vehicle to verify no surprise charges had appeared.... and... they didn't. Good! I did return the vehicle with more fuel than when I took it - occupational hazard when the vehicles are rented with less than a full tank, even if correctly marked it can be hard to guess exactly how much to top up and I always end up erring on the side of caution. But that's a minor concern.

So I'm more confident, now I'll use them again. The value is good indeed.

BTW you need the free bus from STAND 9, not 3 as the literature and signage states. This stand is right next to the actual rental car center. In fact you could walk to the lot if you know where it was situated and didn't have lots of luggage, it's only about ~800m from the airport entrance.

2. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just in case you guys have no idea about Goldcar or you believe for one moment I've exaggerated their malfeasance, check these reports out... they are just a small sample of the torrent of outrage online. The variety of their scams and the sheer volume of unprofessional behaviors is truly impressive:

http://goldcarcomplaints.com/

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187427-i42-k5453847-Goldcar_is_a_SCAM_beware-Spain.html

http://www.spanish-fiestas.com/goldcar-car-rental-rip-off/

This company serves the global consumer only as a measuring stick for quantifying horrendous car rental experience. Let me see if I can convey this in a way that IF readers will understand... how about this, I'd much rather pay DL or BA for a J-class revenue ticket than ever use Goldcar again.

Connecting the dots here, IME Easirent's business model in no way resembles Goldcar.