Easiest way to get 1220 skymiles?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by countgary, Jun 29, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. countgary

countgary Active Member

Status Points:
    I never fly delta, but I'm looking at taking a trip from SFO area to The Washington DC area, in late August. I have 31,280 skymiles and when I try to book a trip is shows I need 32,500 even though the color coded calendar shows saver availability for both days. Any tips on the most cost effective way to make up the difference? I don't have the Amex.

2. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Buy or trade for the miles through Points.com or buy through Delta, or fly another flight to get them. Most other methods will take a number of weeks before you'll get the miles and the reward space may be gone.

3. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to Milepoint and Delta's broken award calendar. You have one segment on your trip that is showing at the higher level. What you need to do is look segment by segment to find the higher fare and try to work around it. You will need to look for 1-way tickets (SFO-ATL and then ATL-DCA or SFO-DTW and then DTW-DCA) and find the segments that are the lowest miles. Then work on your return. Once you have all the lowest segments out (and written down), you will need to build a multi-city award ticket using the segments you found and hopefully Deltamatic will price it correctly. You will probably need some flexibility in your dates, times, or airports to get the lowest level award available.

Good luck, they've been "fixing" the award calendar for years.

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just because the calendar says 32,500 miles doesn't mean that there's really a ticket you can get for 32,500 miles. Also, the one's available at this price in miles might leave at 6am and include a wonderful overnight connection.

DO NOT purchase miles before looking more carefully at what's really available. You could be pleasantly or very unpleasantly surprised.

5. countgary

countgary Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the tips.

6. lapointdm

lapointdm Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you have any hotel stays you can request miles for those. In particular hyatt is running a triple miles bonus now which with some stays could get you there quickly.

7. pointshogger

pointshogger Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do you have Membership Rewards, Starpoints or any other hotel transfer partners that you can use to transfer points to Delta SkyMiles?