easier to switch flighs on an AAward or change AAward type?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by thethinwhiteduke, Jun 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. thethinwhiteduke
    Original Member

thethinwhiteduke Silver Member

Status Points:
    so, here is the situation...i am trying to get an award ticket for a friend of mine on a YUL-LGA flight....

there are 4 flights on the the day in question, but he needs to take one particular flight. the flight he needs to take is 25k miles one way but the other three are 12.5k miles one way.

would it be easier to book the flight he needs at 25k and if it opens up at 12.5k miles switch it to that or would it be easier to book a different 12.5k flight and if the flight he needs open up, switch to that flight?

any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. i havent booked too many AAwards so am a bit of a newbie there....

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I'm half asleep so I'll just make this short and sweet.

My personal opinion:

It's anyone's guess whether your award space will end up becoming available. There are so many factors (loads, time of year, etc) that no one here can tell you for sure that one way will work out better than the other.

I'd be more concerned about what would happen if the inventory didn't become available, so I'd be asking myself this: What's more important, the timing of the flight or the cost of the miles?

If the flight time is not flexible, book the higher award and hope for the best. If you can't afford the miles, book the lower award and hope for the best. At the end of the day, it's all chance and you should make choices based on what's most important, not what's probable.

Also, unless I'm lost in a foggy sleep haze, your award amounts are off. If your friend is really flying to LGQ, which is in Ecuador, it'll cost more miles then you've indicated. I think you might have meant to list LGA instead.

There's more I could write but I've got to hit the hay and there are plenty of others who will come along and give you some solid advice. :)

thethinwhiteduke likes this.
  3. thethinwhiteduke
    Original Member

Status Points:
    you were absolutely right, its LGA. edited my original post. i, too, was half asleep.

i suppose my follow up question would be: if i book the 25k and 12.5k becomes available, is it a simple switch or is there a fee? and...if i book a differernt flight at 12.5k and this flight then becomes available, is it simple to switch the flight? thanks again

4. There would almost definitely be a fee to change from an AAnytime award (25K one way) to a MilesAAver (12.5k one way). However, it is generally AA's policy to wave any fees to change to a higher mileage level from a lower mileage level.

In addition, the AAnytime award will remain available at 25k as long as there is at least a seat available to sell. I'd book the MileSAAver at a less desirable time now, and then close to the date of travel call AA to see if anything has opened up on your preferred flight for the MilesAAver, in which case you should be able to change without penalty. If they haven't opened up any of the saver seats, then you can make the change to the AAnytime award only a few days before departure. In other words, you lose nothing by booking the cheaper seat now and hoping that they open up more seats.

5. thethinwhiteduke
    Original Member

Status Points:
    that is a hugely helpful suggestion. will definitely give that a try, thanks for the tips!