Earning tier points on American Airlines

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by tulane09, Feb 6, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. tulane09

tulane09 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm a bronze executive club member through BA, fly to europe a couple times a year. I'm trying to gain silver by november. I'm looking to book first class on an American Airlines flight to Aruba. Do I need to book it through BA to get tier points, or do I book through AA and add my executive club number there?

BA keeps saying they can't find the flight, and I want to make sure it counts towards my EC account not my AAdvantage account.

2. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
  3. tulane09

tulane09 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just to clarify, I want to get BA credit on an American flight. I'm paying for the ticket.

If I book through AA, then I just call them or call BA? Do I use me AAdvantage number too?

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you want to credit to BA then you must use the BA number. You should be able to specify it at booking, with a phone agent at any point or at the airport. I haven't figured out how to determine the number of TPs earned on various flights in the BAEC program, but I know that you have to have the BA number in the reservation to be credited there. Buying it with an AA code and from the AA site won't affect things.

5. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm pretty sure you can check in at the airport a the desk and ask them to verify that you have your BA number added to this itinerary.

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You'll also see the BAEC number on the boarding pass if it is working correctly.

7. brianchoyt

brianchoyt Active Member

Status Points:
    I achieved BA silver status through AA flying, all you need to do is include your BA number when you book your reservation on AA.com. Flights on AA in F over 1800 miles earn 180 tier points, otherwise they earn 60. Economy tickets don't earn much. I booked PAP-MIA-LAX-SFO and back last year on an "instant upgrade" ticket for $1000. Combined with a r/t LUX-LHR-MXP on BA metal while in Europe and I had the 4 flights and tier points needed for Silver, all in for around $1200.

8. tulane09

tulane09 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was punching first class DCA to MIA into BA tier calculator and its showing 40 tier pts one way. So 80 total. Is this right?

9. tulane09

tulane09 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Booked today on AA. There's a drop down where you select what oneworld ff# to use. Worked fine. Thanks everyone.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  10. andrewhyde

andrewhyde Active Member

Status Points:
    General question here: is it always a 1:1 mile match?

If they use a BA FF# on an AA flight (or X milage program flying on Y airline partner) will it always be 1:1? Is there any airline combo where this isn't the case?

11. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think with BA, yes, but check link in post #2 of this thread to be sure.

12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    If you are looking to earn in the Avios scheme then look here for earning rates on various partners: https://www.britishairways.com/travel/collect-avios-oneworld/execclub/_gf/en_gb. There are also non-OW partners which can earn, at the rates shown here: https://www.britishairways.com/travel/collect-avios-other-airlines/execclub/_gf/en_gb.

The short of it is that flying on AA metal and on published fares you'll get 100% or better on all flights except for O fares between North America and Latin America. For flights operated by other carriers the rates will vary; there are a lot of 25% earning fares on other partners out there, for example.

13. lwp

lwp New Member

Status Points:
    Resurrecting this discussion, I'm a BA Silver holder whose tied end date is coming up. Despite having many points booked for the following weeks, BA is not recognising these, which means I'll lose the tier points, drop to Bronze, and start again (frustrating as I've been weekly commuting with BA for 6 months, but their measily pointed flights haven't made it to 600 points).

Compounded by a number of instances where BA have not shown me anywhere near the loyalty and service level that I would expect, I'm considering jumping to a different loyalty programme.

I was wondering whether I could transfer tier points to AAdvantage and retain the tier equivalency (Platinum) and transfer my avios points and so on to pump up the AAdvantage tiers. Any ideas?