Earning status/elite miles from credit cards

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by Wanaflyforless, Feb 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Wanaflyforless
    Original Member

Wanaflyforless Silver Member

Status Points:
    In the US, options for airline status from credit cards:

1) Amex Centurion card offers complimentary mid-tier status with Delta, Continental, US Airways, and Virgin Atlantic Airways.

2) Chase Continental Airlines Presidential Plus MasterCard earns 1,000 Elite Qualifying miles for every $5,000 spent. (You get to choose what qualifyng year you want these Elite miles to count towards)

3) Amex Delta Reserve earns 15,000 qualifying miles when you spend $30,000 and 30,000 qualifying miles when you spend $60,000 in a calendar year. 30,000 qualifying miles is the cap for this card but I think one can have both a personal and business card that earns qualifying miles.

4) Juniper US Airways business MasterCard earns 10,000 qualifying miles when you spend $25,000 or more a year.

5) Chase United Mileage Plus Club Visa and Mileage Plus Access Visa each offer 10,000 qualifying miles when you spend $35,000 in a year on your card.

6) Citibank American Airlines cards earning AA miles or SPG Amex card earning SPG points then converted to American miles - these miles will not count towards annual status. But they will count towards lifetime American status. 1 million AA miles = lifetime AA gold status. 2 million AA miles = lifetime AA platinum status. So spending $1 million on an AA Citibank card or $750K on a SPG Amex card (then transferring the SPG to AA) would result in lifetime status on AA. Twice that for higher level status. AA is the only major US airline that counts miles from all sources, including credit card spend, for lifetime status.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

In France, the Air France Flying Blue Amex earns 1 status mile for every $ spent. It is the only card anywhere I am award of that earns a status mile per $. (A benefit I very much envy as a US based consumer).

2. aitchly
    Original Member

aitchly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the comprehensive posting!

3. wheat27
    Original Member

wheat27 Silver Member

Status Points:
  4. Lyssa
    Original Member

Lyssa Silver Member

Status Points:
    For the AA 1 million miles, do miles that you have used already count? Like you don't have to have the 1 million miles all at one time, correct?

5. Wanaflyforless
    Original Member

Wanaflyforless Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, total program miles earned count, including those already redeemed.

Lyssa likes this.
  6. Very interesting on the million dollar spend on the SPG Amex. Thanks!

7. chemist562
    Original Member

chemist562 In Memorian

Status Points:
    Even my old TWA miles (180K) being absorbed into AA counted in my 1MM totals. [​IMG]

8. Virgin Atlantic US BoA Amex card gives 1.5miles/$ (very good basic rate...) and 2 'Tier Points' per $5000 spent (max) each month. You need 40 TP per year to hit Gold (top status at Virgin, officially), and 30/year to maintain it subsequently. So you can't hit Gold on the card alone, but it can get you/ keep you at that level pretty effectively, with just a single qualifying flight (or two depending on class) each year.
    I use it pretty regularly, as I fly to UK a good bit, so this is my go-to card, till I hit the TP required, then there's other fish to fry.