earning points

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by zcns, Sep 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Was wondering if anyone could help i am fairley new to this and I want to earn mile points ,I am a student and I got my first cc this month which was a citi card with no point benefits involved , I have alittle bit of AA points from flying and keep getting offers in the mail for the citi aa advantage ,( but i have no cerdit really )
    Any ideas on how I can earn points?
    Thans so much!!!

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  2. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    JohnDeere19 likes this.
  3. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Over on FlyerTalk there is a thread about the AA credit card and offers that have, technically, expired. However, AA is still honoring the applications and associated bonus. You can see the details here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mile...card-75k-sign-up-bonus-read-post-2-first.html

Make sure you read and follow "Post #2". Since the card you just received is a Citi card, you might want to wait 3 or 4 months to apply for the AA card. Make sure you charge something and fully pay it off each month so you build a credit history with Citi.

Good Luck.

Gargoyle and JohnDeere19 like this.
  4. ThaNKS SO MUCH FOR THE HELP!!! anyway I can get amex or starwood points for a first time creditcard?

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  5. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Be very careful on how many credit cards you apply for. Since you are very new to the "credit game" you need to take your time to build your credit rating and make sure the banks "trust" you.

There is another blog that you might want to follow: http://www.frugaltravelguy.com/

He has a lot of good suggestions on getting miles.

By the way, welcome to FT. You will find a lot of good information here.

Gargoyle and JohnDeere19 like this.
  6. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you know what your credit score is? If you just got your first card recently, I'm not sure what your approval chances would be due to a short credit history. Rewards cards are usually the tougher cards to get accepted for. Depending on the length of your credit history, I would give it a shot.

The Citi AAdvantage AMEX card is going to be the easier one than the AMEX SPG card from the acceptance to the minimum spending. You just need to spend $1,500 for the AAdvantage cards but you need to spend $15,000 for the bigger bonus for the SPG card. Can you spend $15,000 in three months?

As a fellow college student, I recommend going with the Citi AAdvantage card mainly because of the minimum spend. I applied for the SPG card and was approved for it back when the bonus was for $4,000 in three months which was easier. If you can convince your parents to put their larger bills on your credit card and/or you have a large purchase coming up soon then go for the SPG card. The only thing I can think of when it comes to reaching $15K our age are tuition, down deposits on cars, car insurance, and rent depending where you live...

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    You probably don't want to pay tuition with a credit card as there is usually a substantial surcharge, just as it costs a lot more to pay taxes with a credit card.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  8. Million Mile Secrets

Million Mile Secrets Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you are a student, and you haven't been an authorized user on someone eles's cards (your parents, perhaps), you likely have a very limited credit history - which is going to make it harder to get approved for the high sign up bonus cards.

The Citi AA credit cards are among the toughest Citi credit cards to get, and I've had many student blog readers not get approved for that card. I'd suggest waiting at least a few months before trying for the Citi AAdvantage card.

In the meantime, make your payments on time, don't max out the credit line, and nurture your credit. Credit card sign up bonuses are the easiest way to earn miles and points! For example, you could earn 225K AA miles from just 3 credit cards, another 50K from the Chase Sapphire, and the full list is too long to write.

Take good care of your credit, and your good credit will take care of your travel needs!

BTW, which Citi card did you get? Was it the Citi Forward card?

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  9. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd recommend first signing up for creditkarma.com and creditsesame.com (both free) to get an idea about your credit score and how it's calculated. Additionally, if you get your credit report free (1x/year) do that and go through it to ensure that there's nothing strange going on (if there is, get it fixed ASAP). Making sure you have strong credit is the best way to get a head start on the mileage earning game.

10. Thanks so much for all you help!!!!!! I got the forward card which i dont think i get any miles from .