Earning points on Wedding expenses

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by tulane09, Nov 26, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. tulane09

tulane09 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Outside of travel/dining charges, does anyone have any good ways to maximize point earnings on wedding expenses? Any good vendors through various shopping portals, etc?

mo26 likes this.
  2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    There have been a couple of threads about this, so search will be your friend.

Vendors are going to be funky depending on what you need, so the only obvious suggestion is to check evrewards to gauge your options when you need to buy anything in particular (such as stationary or whatever).

It would be nice -- albeit it's not practical -- to use one of the flower places that offer dozens of miles per dollar, but that's probably not going to work :) Otherwise I'd just say keep an eye on the promos, depending on which card(s) you have, to get the highest point multiplier that you can get.

mo26 likes this.
  3. Slow_Mustang
    Original Member

Slow_Mustang Silver Member

Status Points:
    If there is going to be a reception after the wedding, it might be worth it to compare the prices for different venues (hotel event halls Vs. generic halls). Holding events at hotels do fetch you quite a few points. Different hotels have different hotel point rewards for planning an event at their property.

mo26 and FetePerfection like this.
  4. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a wedding planner I always recommend using a credit card that gives you miles, points, cash back or whatever and use it for all your wedding expenses including reception, dress, honeymoon, band, food & beverage etc. The average cost of a US wedding is hovering just under $30K so that's a nice chunk of change or bonus miles back on your cc.

mo26, merice107 and Newscience like this.
  5. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    One suggestion I have as a newlywed, and if it's in your budget--find a good restaurant for your rehearsal dinner that's part of the Rewards Network/ iDine.

Easy way to rack up miles.

mo26 likes this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ouch! Eloping may not earn any significant miles (other than travel), but you save a ton of money that you can use for future travel. Who needs miles when you can spend $30k on fares/hotels? Why didn't I think of that earlier? Oh, wait, I did... :)

mo26 and FetePerfection like this.
  7. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Weddings are considered "Meetings and events"
    And they can be worth status points at many hotels. And also be sure to put it on the given hotel's card. 2 or 3x SPG or 15x HHonors will take you a ways.

http://www.starwoodmeetings.com/

http://hhonors3.hilton.com/en/events/planner/index.html

http://www.marriott.com/meeting-event-hotels/rewards.mi

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
    mo26 and Slow_Mustang like this.
  8. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Points are great, but make sure you BOTH agree on the venue--- and EVERY major decision.

My wife knows I'm a points and mileage addict, and we could have hosted our wedding and reception at a very nice Renaissance, but ultimately we did not go that route. We didn't want a cookie-cutter venue, so we instead chose something more original, and gave up on earning points from a venue.

Sure weddings are expensive, and there are plenty of points and miles opportunities, but be sure you BOTH wisely don't put points and miles ahead of one of the most important events in your life. Especially if like us, you believe that getting married is a one-time event.

But if you're fine with a chain hotel ballroom for your venue, more power to you....

Muerl likes this.
  9. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Everything said here I agree with 100%.

We were married outdoors and had our reception in a nonprofit performing arts space. We did plan our credit card spend for all of the items, but we definitely did not plan to have our wedding in a chain hotel.

I should have been more clear, I just wanted to provide the information I could.

Max M likes this.
  10. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Completely understand that you were trying to help. :)

In some markets there are some outstanding properties to have a wedding, [i.e. the original St. Regis, Waldorf Astoria, etc.] and if someone else is paying [a parent, grandparent, etc.], one might not have as much freedom so some ROI in terms of points/miles might be something to consider.

To add to your idea of getting points for hotels, MANY hotels will offer you points/miles for out of town guests staying at a national hotel chain. They still get their points, but you also get bonus points based upon the number of people staying at the hotel.

We picked a Hampton Inn to have our out of town guests, but unlike other are HHonors properties, we were not bound to an agreement, just a promise of points for guests that were staying there.

Not only did we not receive a single HHonors point for our out-of-town guests reservations, as the hotel claimed that no one booked under our rate that would earn us points, the lousy property refused to let us contact my uncle that was staying at the property because we didn't have the room number. :mad: My cell phone died the day before the wedding, and it was the only place where we had my uncle's cell phone number stored, so we had no way to contact my uncle besides going through the front desk of the hotel. I called the hotel twice, and the person answering the phone claimed she was the manager, and again demanded that we have the hotel room number; she insisted that the property does not connect outside callers to hotel guests via guest names.:mad:

Thankfully a simple call to the HHonors Diamond Desk Guest Relations department solved that, and soon the same "manager" then finally connected me to my aunt and uncle via a conference call with the Diamond Desk.

What a pleasure it was for the female "manager" having to eat crow to someone @HHonors Diamond Desk, considering that this was the night before our wedding, and this was the host hotel for our out of town guests.

Muerl likes this.