Earning points for editing and maintaining posts?

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by noel, Feb 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. noel
    Original Member

noel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Updating a thread with new posts is the most beneficial method of adding new information at this time. But it seems like it might be a good idea to figure a method of rewarding users who maintain and update an existing post.

This seems like a time consuming task and one that greatly benefits the community. Rather than having information spread out in multiple posts (which is what the system seems to be trending towards), I think we should develop a method of rewarding those who update and curate posts.

Maybe this has already been addressed, or is already included in the algorithm, but I couldn't find any reference..

JAbrams72 likes this.
  2. vbroucek
    Original Member

vbroucek Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am starting to feel that some posters will be here just to earn points. I thought that we are here to help each other and for the benefit of the whole community. If we get to the point where people post only for the sake of points, we can (IMHO) close it down. Perhaps time to re-think the whole idea of awarding points and nurturing elites...

Chimpy likes this.
  3. Petrus
    Original Member

Petrus Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just my thoughts:

It wont matter how the system is designed. As with any internet forum/community you will always regardless unquestionably have status and title chasers. The world is full of freaks and on the web these social misfits have a place to thrive. Most are young. It is in the human nature, for good and bad. One just has to accept the fact they will always be around so better to focus efforts on trying to make them grow up or remove them. If one cannot accept that trolls and attention seekers are a part of it, best to stay away.

philcape, ma91pmh, CT-UK and 2 others like this.
  4. JAbrams72
    Original Member

JAbrams72 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is there a little irony that we're critiquing "status and title chasers" in a forum dedicated to frequent flyer-dom?

Chimpy, latrobe, Sean and 1 other person like this.
  5. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think that the rush ot earn points will settle down very shortly, although there will always be those who seem to have a passions to be the "first" to his 10,000 posts. Some folks are just like that. ;)

The site is brand new, folks are excited, checking out all of the new features and having fun playing with them. It will all settle into place in due time.

No worries.

6. Petrus
    Original Member

Petrus Silver Member

Status Points:
    That would be a great irony :) However, it was not critique at all.

7. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Abraham Maslow should have added to his hierarchy of needs....the need for status on Bulletin Boards.

If he needs a clinical trial to prove the point, I will point him in this direction

lin821 and Brit like this.
  8. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    Will need a MP Run Forum then soon......[​IMG]

9. Tinkerer
    Original Member

Tinkerer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree that maintaining info is a very important and appreciated task!

BTW, it seems that for the full roll out (apparently we're at ~30% now) a wiki concept is planned where the knowledge will be stored. The algorithm to achieve status are going to be adaptive ... right now it's all about testing the underlying technology (e.g., does the system grant status when it's supposed to).

noel likes this.
  10. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure how I feel about this point business. Points don't mean anything to me. I'd like to see number of posts instead. This is the only way to get a 'feel' for a poster. ie are they a productive member. If I'm getting points because someone likes what I say, that's silly.

Is there a link explaining the points system?

11. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I am pretty sure people have worked that out by posting endless dribble in the OT section of MP.

I too am a little confused by the point system as it seems a little out of whack but I don't know how to improve it so I shall remain quiet but getting points for helping people and improving content seems like a good idea but how do you make this work? Someone edits someone else's post? Changes the title post or something for the discussion with updates consolidated?

vbroucek likes this.
  12. kenbo
    Original Member

kenbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think it depends on what your definition of "productive" is. Some members have expressed concern that the number of posts someone has can be misleading in regards to how much knowledge they have contributed to the community. There are social threads out there where people go to take it easy, have a good time and play games and that activity drives up post counts. There's nothing wrong with that. While that's productive in terms of being an active member of the community, it's not necessarily productive in contributing knowledge and resources.

philcape and latrobe like this.
  13. aitchly
    Original Member

aitchly Silver Member

Status Points:
    If there was an editable wiki at the top of each thread, we wouldn't need an OP to continually update the thread.

It could even be a floating wiki appearing at the top of each page of a thread.

Dovster, Wanaflyforless and noel like this.
  14. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    One of the things I never understood about FT was the seeming preoccupation with process - that is, the nuts-and-bolts workings as opposed to getting results. The TB fora especially were full of multi-page bloviation, when a bit of compromise and a dash of common sense would have solved the matter in a single page's worth of postings. I hope that the leadership of MP will do things differently, and Randy's statement that he will be the decision maker without a lot of horizontal barriers is very encouraging.

One suggestion I'd add is to encourage, on a selective basis of course, the adopting of ideas and proposals on a temporary, expiring basis. The type of change or enhancement [​IMG] that wouldn't be appropriate to make on an irrevokable, permanent basis might make more sense if adopted on a temporary basis (in order to see if the goal of the change was accomoplished, and to ensure that unforseen negative impacts did not arise),

15. noel
    Original Member

noel Silver Member

Status Points:
    That seems like a much better way to organize material in a thread. Positioning a community wiki at the top of each post sounds like a much easier way to finding information rather than trying to find the right point in a thread where a question is answered.

dkelly1110 and aitchly like this.
  16. Tinkerer
    Original Member

Tinkerer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Like ongoing mini-betas. I was thinking along those lines this morning too and, in fact, started a thread to explore having a section like this remain open for ongoing discussion of ideas and also to be able to share discoveries or questions on the site.

17. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The points allow the MilePoint team to associate status with contributions to the site, not just raw posts (like the thread for counting down from 123,456 ...). Posts that are liked and valued by other members are a significant indicator of that; once the rest of the functions come on line, I am certain there will be other contributions that will earn points.

As for the points and status, here is the link:
    http://milepoint.com/forums/help/trophies

No, the points awarded for specific activities are intentionally not published, not are the thresholds for the different status levels. These are all subject to change, and will change as the site grows and fully launches.

Dovster likes this.
  18. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Count down from 123,456 ... :rolleyes:

19. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly. Out goal is to make information easy to find, not just yell at newbies for not using the search!

kenbo and noel like this.
  20. sophiegirl
    Original Member

sophiegirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I seem to be stuck at 30! (points, not age unfortunately) I see that others are getting points for " having 5 likes" or " being well liked"....I have 11 likes, but no points associated with them..so maybe I am not really liked. Or the people that are liking what I write don't count towards being liked? And valued contributor...I have designed a poll, written property reviews, and even started a discussion about cars and their odd attributes...but none seem valuable. My ipad doesn't seem to be showing smilies or other options, and my yahoo account never got certified. Pretty soon I will be completely neurotic, feel left out and unappreciated...and just have to slink back to FT. ;>)

lin821, aitchly, ark and 1 other person like this.
  21. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is generally a delay between reaching a threshold (such as 10 likes), it could be up to an hour. So don't worry, be happy! :)

22. noel
    Original Member

noel Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you want a more specific look at how points are awarded, check out this post.

23. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
  24. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Usually a sweep is done at 40 minutes past each hour.

noel likes this.
  25. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just looked and you have 5 points for your first like and 5 more points when you reached 5 likes.

lisamcgu and Skyvillager like this.