Earning Points For Business Class Upgrade on CX

Discussion in 'oneworld' started by Historyhorn, Feb 4, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Historyhorn

Historyhorn New Member

Status Points:
    I'm looking for tips on how to earn enough points to upgrade to at least a business class seat on a trans-Pacific flight with CX.

I have family abroad and travel back and forth about once every other year. Love visiting family, but hate the 15 to 18 hour flight in economy. Looking to get a sleeper seat without having to pay $10,000 or more round trip.

I travel extensively with work, but that travel is all domestic. Our company sends us almost exclusively on SWA. I have an SWA companion pass. I'm also a diamond member on Hilton HHonors. I've got points credit cards for both SWA and HHonors.

Long story short.....aside from suddenly booking lots of international flights or convincing my company to switch to AA for domestics, what would be the best way to go about earning enough points to get an upgrade to a seat which folds down into a bed?

Get a different rewards CC and use the heck out of it for all household purchases? Convert HHonors points to CX or AA? Use the Double Dip feature with HHonors?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, if you don't already have them, Citi offers AA-branded personal and business cards with a 50K miles bonus on each. They have VISA, MasterCard, and AmEx on offer (but don't expect to get all at the same time).

I would think you could apply for a personal and a business card at the same time, which (after doing the required minimum charges) would generate at least 100K AAdvantage miles, which should suffice.

3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Just to clarify, this route would only be useful if historyhorn was interested in booking an award ticket on Cathay in business class. If he wants to purchase a fare and then use points to upgrade, as the language seems to suggest in his post, then the AA mileage route is useless.

That being said, it's likely easier to quickly accumulate AA miles to get an award ticket in J than to get enough CX miles to upgrade. :)

Counsellor and AUSsie like this.
  4. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correct - he'd have to get an award ticket, not an award upgrade. Thanks for the clarification.

5. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can also earn points through a Starwood card, as well as buy them, and those transfer to Asia Miles with a 25% bonus per 20k. You can use Asia Miles to upgrade CX flights.