Earning miles without Credit Cards bonus'

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Nicole Blaess-Smith, Feb 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Nicole Blaess-Smith
    Original Member

Nicole Blaess-Smith Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have done a fair bit of searching of the forums and I haven't really found to many people who have earned their FFPs through not signing up for a CC.

I'm just wondering what advice people have for others who don't want to get a credit cards?

I suggest:
    * Surveys (e-miles/e-rewards)
    * Sign-up bonus' (join frequent flyer programs when there are bonus miles offered for joining)
    * Participate in programs events (Continental Mileathon is a good example. Get extra points for flying economy or biz/sending flowers/signing up to the mailing list!)
    * Shop with businesses which give you points (I don't normally shop at Woolworths (supermarket) but to get Qantas points I buy the expensive items (cereal/milk/bathroom items/etc etc) and then just buy the foods from specific brands at my local supermarket. Win/win!)
    * Buy a few points when the time is right (US airways is offering a 75% increase in the number of points you earn right now. 100% if you download a free toolbar (and use it once I think). I got 100,000 points for $1500 and am ready to travel Star Alliance in style for less than it would have costed buying a full-priced economy ticket from MLB -> JFK! =D) *remember points do expire so don't hoard them forever!

I do suggest getting ONE credit card (with a manageable limit) if you are able.
    Comes in handy when you have to buy expensive household items (TVs/Fridges/CD players). It's also great for double-dipping with affiliate buisness' (I shop at Woolworths supermarket and get points AND I pay with my credit card earning more points!)
    I also suggest using Amex as much as possible as they seem to have the best point conversion (at least in AUS it's $1 = 2pts on selected cards)

AtomicGardener likes this.
  2. Nicole Blaess-Smith
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I forgot to mention - if you do daily puzzles/soudukus etc try doing it on Club Bing as you earn 'tickets' which you can redeem for miles. It takes a while to earn it but if you do a few each day it adds up quickly!

3. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Surprised you like amex

When I lived in Australia, few shops accepted amex

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    In my experience, it would take roughly a life-time of surveys to reach the bonus miles I have earned on one credit card. It's a nice way to maybe keep an account alive, but life's too short to focus on that method.

I don't churn cards, only occasionally get a new one. Most of my miles/points actually come from flying/staying at hotels. Paying attention to promos (here on MP or on FT or various blogs) helps a lot in increasing the earnings potential or reducing the cost of spending the hard-earned miles.

Nicole Blaess-Smith likes this.
  5. FlyingFree
    Original Member

FlyingFree Gold Member

Status Points:
    You CAN play the game without credit cards, but the current situation in the industry seems to be that, other than flying, cards are the way to earn the most miles the fastest. If you can charge business expenses to your cards, it makes milage accumulation even more productive (i.e., my clients not only pay me for my work, but they also help pay for my vacations made possible with miles by paying for my airfare, which I leverage by using a card that gives me 2x or 3x miles).

6. k2o
    Original Member

k2o Silver Member

Status Points:
    I get most of my points (MR) or miles from registering for promo's and spending. I do coins, although not like the ppl with big guns do, MO's and other things on my cc.
    I go through different portals for online purchases. Usually they're for 2-10x bonus plus the spend on your card...There are several places that don't deduct the miles even if you return the items so if it's free shipping I'm game when I have the time.
    Also, participating in different 'challenges' or renting cars..I wish Delta would bring the 9999 miles for 1 day rental back!

7. How do you get MOs on your CC? Most places want a debit card!

8. Gary Steiger
    Original Member

Gary Steiger Silver Member

Status Points:
    Everyone who dines out should register miles cards with an appropriate Rewards Network (iDine) program. See the Other Programs I Like > Dining section on my website below.

There are some very good financial offers in the Stock and Bond Brokers and Banks sections of my website below. The BankDirect offer of American Airlines miles is particularly easy and does not involve a lot of money..

9. k2o
    Original Member

k2o Silver Member

Status Points:

I try to purchase at every party/grocery store that sells MO's. Just pull out your cc, if they say they don't accept then I say sorry I'll pass...but I've been lucky at quite a few places and I'm sure to go back [​IMG]

Also some places will allow GC's for MO's...if thats the case, spend the $4.95 and buy the gc with your cc, then purchase the MO's...start out with a small amt. so if they decide to deny it won't hurt. YMMV

Nicole Blaess-Smith and ingy like this.
  10. Surface Interval
    Original Member

Surface Interval Silver Member

Status Points:
    Now that is a novel concept [​IMG]

11. savydog
    Original Member

savydog Gold Member

Status Points:
    I love double dipping with my KrisFlyer Amex at Woolies. Get Singapore Airlines points and Qantas points for the same purchases.

12. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    AMEX in the US is very widely accepted and a great card provider. In fact they are my favorite. THey are also widely accepted at restaurants and hotels in parts of asia.

13. Nicole Blaess-Smith
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The service has really improved over the last year especially as Westfield and AMEX have partnered up.

14. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not to mention not everybody lives in Australia.

15. Nicole Blaess-Smith
    Original Member

Status Points:
    London has Westfields now too ;)

16. travelingmore
    Original Member

travelingmore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also, the "Dining For Miles" thread here in this Forum has good information on miles for dining programs.

17. Tiki
    Original Member

Tiki Silver Member

Status Points:
    There's a few nice promos to maximize Amex in Australia. Last year, they gave a bonus of 250 points per transaction over $20 up to 25,000 max bonus. So all you had to do was do your grocery shopping split between several stores and top up your petrol in $20 increments. Now they give a bonus of 5 points per dollar for Dick Smith if you signed up for it last year so just buy the gift cards and use them for groceries, petrol, Big W and whatever else you can get.

18. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are your points the same as our US MR points?