Earning miles on foreign flights

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by thedanguy, Apr 24, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. thedanguy

thedanguy Member

Status Points:
    Hello, I am a total newbie here and have a very basic question. I have UA Star Alliance and would like to earn miles in that program whenever I fly one of the foreign airlines in that alliance. The trouble I have run into that is it's impossible to tell if the ticket I am buying will earn points with UA. For example on my Turkish Airlines flight, I earned 100% of the miles. However on Singapore Airlines, I only earned some 25% of the actual miles in KrisFlyer, and not in UA, which was totally wasted. Had I known, I would have booked with United for some 20K points. I reviewed all the web pages and none of them indicates anything until the ticket is bought. Now I am looking at Malaysian Airlines (OneWorld) and there is no where on the form that tells me which class the ticket is. I have also inquired with them but have not received a response. So I have not purchased the ticket yet.

Is there a general rule about earning miles on foreign airlines' flight? Any input and experiences you have will be greatly appreciated.

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    The pages are usually on the airlines site. E.g. http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/mar...s/pages/AirlinePartnerDetails.aspx?ItemId=304

I usually just google it with the airlines in question under "accrue mileage"

As for the fare class they will typically show you before you purchase it. Some airlines are better than others at that.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

thedanguy, edekba and marcwint55 like this.
  3. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you can't find it on the airline site, I would call before purchasing the ticket and talk to someone in the mileage department. Do not rely on anything that a ticket agent tells you.

thedanguy and edekba like this.
  4. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    use ITA to find the flight/price you're buying (if possible) and it'll show you the fare class

marcwint55 and Singapore Flyer like this.
  5. thedanguy

thedanguy Member

Status Points:
    Thank you all for your helpful posts. Singapore Airlines responded that they will convey consumer's desire to see the fare class visibly when booking a ticket to their marketing team.

marcwint55 and Singapore Flyer like this.
  6. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    SQ is famous for this...lack of information. However, generally, if you accrue 100% of the miles, you will get it from UA. You can check if it is sweet deals, flexisaver, or flexi to see which level it is to determine that.

marcwint55 likes this.
  7. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    You need to stay within the same alliance to earn miles on a carrier in that alliance, GENERALLY. Some airlines play across multiple aliiances (Alaska can credit to Alaska, Delta or American; Emirates credits to a lot of programs). As others have noted, the web site of the carrier you're crediting the miles to should have a partner mileage chart.

Just a note: Flying on Malaysian, a oneworld carrier, won't allow you to earn miles on UA, a StarAlliance carrier.

marcwint55 likes this.