Earning Miles on DL/KL Codeshares

Discussion in 'Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan' started by gba, Mar 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. gba
    Original Member

gba Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone have any experience earning miles on DL-metal flights operated with a KL flight number? I feel like I should be able to do this without issues, although the KL flight number isn't in the valid range on the Alaska website. I know I can earn AS miles on AS-metal, DL-coded flights, so isn't this the same thing?

2. RedTape
    Original Member

RedTape Silver Member

Status Points:
    It isn't the same thing. In an AS-metal, DL-coded flight, AS is involved. A KL-DL codeshare situation isn't and is likely governed by the agreements between KL and AS and DL and AS as to where they're willing to allow Mileage Plan members to earn miles, specifically, their own metal.

If you've not ticketed already, see if you can get your booking engine (whichever you use) to ticket the DL segment as DL and the KL segment as KL. In that case there is no question.

3. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just had a DL/KL mixed itinerary booked through DL.com and all KL intra-EU flights booked through DL will book into "M" on KL which is eligible for mileage accrual on AS... You will still have to mail in your BP and I would highly recommend you to get a KLM boarding pass which will show the KLM flight number, not the DL codeshare number...

I know KLM will not display the codeshare flight numbers on their BPs, so you should not have any issues with DL booked KLM operated flights as long as you retrieve the KLM boarding passes.

I do not know how DL displays DL operated codeshare flights that was booked through AF/KLM on the DL boarding passes.... Maybe you should ask in the DL forum how the flight #s and fare classes will appear on DL BPs for flights booked through AF/KLM...