Earning miles on award ticket

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by al613, Apr 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. al613
    Original Member

al613 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have noticed that when I fly DL or AA on award ticket if fare class changes because of reservation change in IRROPS then I would get the miles for flying it. It has never happened to me on UA, even when routing changed and fare class became Y. Any idea what's different?

2. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The only way I've found to be able to get award miles on an award ticket is by using United.com/chase --> air travel (mileage plus choices). I'm sure most MP card members know this trick but basically you are buying a ticket with your mileage plus credit card, then redeeming miles to pay for the charge, which only makes sense to do when a domestic ticket is less than $250 and/or there are no saver awards available.

3. PanAm
    Original Member

PanAm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not sure why the difference. Actually just had an IRROPS rebooking on AA last weekend coming back from our award flight, and earned mileage on the rebooked segment. (Too bad it was the <300 mile final segment rather than the TPAC leg!) I always wonder if AA and DL being generous or is it an ongoing system glitch that was never fixed? I can't imagine they hadn't noticed.

4. al613
    Original Member

al613 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It has nothing to do with being generous. GA rebooks you with a wrong fare class because he does not have time/ doesn't care. Then their system things it's a segment flown in the fare class, that you were rebooked. It also happens with UA when you book the ticket in L and GA rebooks you in full Y because of IRROPS. Then you get the bonus of full Y. However, when the ticket is booked in award fare it never happened to me on UA. Did it happen to anyone here?

5. al613
    Original Member

al613 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This gives you value for your miles of 1 cpm. I value them more.

6. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    This very rarely happens with UA but as noted, if the gate agent rebooks in a new booking class, it can occur (though with standardization of STAR award codes this is getting more unlikely). A few years ago, LH had to rebook an award segment due to a weather-induced misconnection. I noticed the new booking class was A, and indeed I did receive 150% EQMs in my MP account.

It would be nice to be able to earn EQMs on award tickets, particularly because at some point we have to start burning our miles and that eats into our ability to renew status. I wouldn't even mind paying for base EQMs on award tickets...maybe 2¢-3¢ a mile? Perhaps with a cap on maxing at 20K a year (or 20% of required tier EQMs).

7. al613
    Original Member

al613 Silver Member

Status Points:
    OK, works on LH. Was it UA award ticket and UA account?
    How about earning on UA flights?

8. Sean
    Original Member

Sean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe the difference is because UA has two separate fields one for booking class and another that determines mileage earning so an agent can rebook you in full Y but you still have the "Not mileage earning" flag on your PNR.

AA and DL might not have such an intricate system. Maybe this UA feature will go away when they switch to CO's system?

9. al613
    Original Member

al613 Silver Member

Status Points:
    May be this field of "no miles" comes with a ticket #?

10. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually it was an Aeroplan award, but because LH rebooked it into a revenue fare booking class, the check-in kiosk showed it was a revenue fare class and provided an opportunity to change the FF number on the reservation. So I decided to change it to my MP account number. Yes, may have been ethically questionable, but I wasn't 100% certain miles would post. Just took a chance. This happens from time to time. Changed my seat on an OS award segment once and found to my surprise that the miles for that segment posted to my AE account.

11. PanAm
    Original Member

PanAm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes I can imagine whyit probably turns out that way in the real world. And I obviously realize AA is not intending, by design, to dole out unearned miles. I meant that they are being generous even if unintentionally. As these occurences surely couldn't have escaped notice, the question is why wouldn't AA bother to either retrain folks or correct whatever the root cause is? I'm not complaining, but it seems like something I'd spend a bit of time to fix if I were AA. Maybe it's infrequent enough for them to not worry about?

Now that I think about it, when I called to rebook last weekend the first agent started to make the change then said "oh it's an award ticket, let me transfer you to the AAdvantage desk". So if the AAdvantage agents don't know, or aren't motivated/trained enough to realize they're rebooking T class into (in my case), O class, then I doubt the regular agents will. Perhaps the IT design is part of the problem as suggested upthread.

12. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe this is the case. I've been rebooked in full F and full Y on an award ticket, neither time earning miles.

Pretty sure the "no mileage" flag is either tied to the ticket number or the PNR.

13. spaced2
    Original Member

spaced2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    while it pains me to say, this is good business practice from ua/co's perspective so i can definitely appreciate it.

given all that, I'd hope with or without irrops i could end up with some an opportunity to take VDB compensation. at least that's a legal way to generate some more EQMs out of an award ticket...

14. al613
    Original Member

al613 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It seems that UA system is very different then AA or DL