Earning miles from flights booked on Expedia, Priceline, Kayak, etc.

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by cptnkirk77, Apr 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. cptnkirk77
    Original Member

cptnkirk77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is most likely a very rudimentary question, and I planned on not asking it and just finding out in two weeks when I actually make these flights, but I figured I might as well ask in this forum as maybe other people wanted to know also!
    Sooo...my question is this:
    I'm flying from DFW to TLH in two weeks on both Delta and US Airways, and I bought these tickets on Expedia as I am just trying to get home the cheapest way possible at the moment and not really concerned about earning miles. Are these flights exempted from being able to earn any miles for these trips, or will I earn only 25% or something of them?
    Thanks!

savydog and Cholula like this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would think that you would get 100% miles on the DL portion if you attach your DL FF number to it. DL normally gives full miles to tickets paid with money at any published fare, including deeply discounted tickets. However, the rules can be different if it's a codeshare.

Hopefully a US expert can answer their part.

savydog likes this.
  3. cptnkirk77
    Original Member

cptnkirk77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess it just depends on the tickets that have been sold to the different search engine sites as to what fare bucket those tickets are from? How would I find that out as it seems to vary across each airline?

savydog likes this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you can find your itinerary on delta.com (which probably would require knowing the DL PNR or ticket number), there's a column that shows cabin and class, so the letter in parentheses under the word "Economy" is it. DL fare codes are (E, new????)TULKQHMBY for coach. Alternatively, you should be able to find the fare code and rules on the site where you purchased the ticket.

savydog likes this.
  5. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have always gotten mileage credit for flights I have bought on the sites listed by the OP.
    You can ask the GA to put your FF # into the system for each flight on different carriers.

There are a few carriers that do not give 100% miles for the very highly discounted fares, so you might need to check with the carriers to see how many miles you will get if the flight is one of these very discounted fares.

savydog likes this.
  6. cptnkirk77
    Original Member

cptnkirk77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is good info, thanks a lot!

7. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Generally speaking you'll earn miles on flights booked via Expedia, Kayak (which really just sends you to another site to purchase), Orbitz, etc.

* Intenrationally there are more non-mileage earning fares, especially on non-US carriers, but that's true whether you book via Expedia or the airline's site directly. And not all fares with partner airlines earn any or full mileage with US-based frequent flyer programs. So that's something to be aware of but doesn't have to do with where the ticket was booked.

* "Opaque" bookings, like "Name Your Own Price" priceline bookings and Hotwire airfare bookings usually mean no miles, but 'regular' airline tickets booked on Priceline do earn miles.

Hotels are a different matter, each chain's rules are different, you aren't going to earn points or stay credit on base room rate booked at a Starwood or Hilton hotel when using a site like Expedia. No elite benefits either. IIRC Hilton doesn't even award points for incidentals when booking via a third party channel. Hyatt and Marriott will even offer status benefits (though not stay credit) on Priceline opaque bookings.

Hotels have this variance, and greater restrictions, because they're paying some pretty hefty commissions to the Expedias of the world and they want to use their loyalty programs to get folks to book through their own channels where they don't pay the huge commissions.

thedanguy, jwsky, Cholula and 2 others like this.
  8. Efrem
    Original Member

Efrem Silver Member

Status Points:
    You asked about "Expedia, Priceline, Kayak, etc."

There are three very different animals here.

1: You can't book anything on Kayak. All you can do is find out what you can book on some other site. Then you head over there and book it. The rules of that site apply. That you found out about it via Kayak is irrelevant.

2: Airlines treat Expedia as a travel agent. What you earn depends on the fare class you book. They will tell you what that is before you book, so you can head over to your frequent flyer program's site and look up the earning information for that fare class. The same is true of Orbitz and the other online travel agents that sell publicly available fares.

(Hotels may not work that way, as posted right above this, but the question was "Earning miles for flights ...")

3: Priceline is different. They have what are called "opaque" fares: you can't see what they are. They're not fares that anyone sells to the public; they're hidden prices that you have to meet without knowing the target. Opaque fares are generally excluded from earning miles. However, if you have a Priceline ticket, try to add your FF number to the reservation. Chances are you still won't get any miles, but mistakes have been known to happen.

9. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    you should see review the very fine print in the terms and conditions of your booking. also do you have a fare code that was part of your receipt? I'm not talking about the 5 or 6 alphanumeric PNR code, but a slightly longer code. Though I'm not sure one would exist for a multi carrier itinerary, if you do have one, it will spell out the details of your fare.

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    There will absolutely be a fare basis for each chunk of the ticket. Finding the fare rules after the fact - even if you have the fare basis - can be challenging. The airlines often make getting that data difficult.

11. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ita would provide it if you can recreate the exact itinerary though right? Maybe I'm thinking fare compare.com

12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah...ITA will if you can still price the same fare basis with them. So with my fare search tool (http://www.wandr.me/Tools/Flexible_Fare_Search.aspx) if you find the same fare basis. If it has been a while since the purchase transaction and the fare is no longer published then you're more likely to have trouble.

13. cptnkirk77
    Original Member

cptnkirk77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It doesn't look like the receipt has this code. It is a mulit carrier itenerary so that's probably why. In any case, I'll find out soon enough as the first segment's today. Thanks for all the info on this everyone!

14. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even on a multi-carrier itinerary, there will be a PNR (sometimes referred to as a Reservation Locator also)- this number is the code which should pull up your itinerary.