Earning Miles From Amazon Shopping

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Casey Friday, Apr 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Casey Friday Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am going to buy a Blentec Home blender, and I'm trying to figure out how to earn a few miles from it. Here's my dilemma: I like saving money as much as I like earning miles.

The Blendtec costs $399.99 at Amazon. I currently have $131.88 in Amazon GC balance from previous 20% off GCs I've purchased, so I need another $268.11 in Amazon GC to pay for the blender. I could go about it a few ways.

I haven't found one yet, but I'm sure there's a gitcard "store" that can be accessed through one of the airlines' shopping portals (preferably AA or CO), and I can earn miles from that purchase. However, I'd also like it to be an ebates friendly site, so that I can get cashback on the purchase.

My other option is to wait until tomorrow and get double cash back - 10% - on AMZ GCs from ebillme. I wouldn't earn any miles that way, but I'd save an extra $13.19.

Am I crazy? Is this amount to small to even worry about miles? Does anyone have any tips to earn miles from this while still shopping at Amazon?

bea61 and Horse like this.
  2. I'm in the same boat you are. Here is what I did With a recent amazon purchase.

Item. $500
    Living social GC ($10 for 20 -qty4). $(80)
    Total. $420

Bought a Amex GC from BC with my chase AARP (net 6.6%) so $25.87 CB. In the end, cost me a total of $434.13.

I'm not sure if Amazon is part of any portals, should have checked before I made the purchase though.

Casey Friday likes this.
  3. Nelumbo
    Original Member

Nelumbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have been purchasing its gift cards from local grocery stores for 2X miles, and then applying them on the website for orders.

hulagrrl210 and Casey Friday like this.
  4. penumpang
    Original Member

penumpang Gold Member

Status Points:
    Me too. In terms of miles, that's the most I can get from Amazon.

Casey Friday likes this.
  5. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I've read that Target sells Kindle GCs (which work the same as Amazon GCs), so I could buy from them and get 3 miles/dollar with AA, then apply those to my Amazon account, but there'd be no cash back in that scenario. There's no cash back because they only sell the Kindle GCs at their brick & mortar locations... I might end up doing that, though...

6. kingalien
    Original Member

kingalien Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, Amazon is tough. Other than the GC at grocery stores as mentioned above, the other method is to use the Amazon credit card (issued by Chase). The standard 3 points for each $ Amazon purchase and one point for other purchases. 2,500 points = $25 gift cert at Amazon.

7. Sam
    Original Member

Sam Silver Member

Status Points:
    You already have $131.88 and need $268.11 in new amazon gift cards.

Buying new gc on ebillme you'd earn 10% cash back with double promo?
    $268.11 x 10% = $26.81 in savings.

With Target you'd earn 3 AA mile per $?
    268 x 3 = 804 miles.

How do you value your AA miles? If 1 mile = 1c, 804 = $8.04 in savings.

$26.81 > $8.04

8. Trout Fishing in America
    Original Member

Trout Fishing in America Silver Member

Status Points:
    Also keep in mind the Citi Forward card. Anything shipped for Amazon currently earns 5 TY points per dollar (equal to 5% cashback if you wait till you have 10,000 TY points). This is, I suppose, because since Amazon codes as a bookstore, everything they ship counts as a book. Obviously, TY points aren't miles and don't transfer into any mile programs, as far as I know, so this would probably be off-topic if not for the mention of Amazon.

9. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. I'm taking the ebillme route, since I value the savings much more than the AA miles. Thanks for the breakdown!

10. Which cards give 2x miles for grocery stores?

11. penumpang
    Original Member

penumpang Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use Amex Premier Rewards.

12. Sam
    Original Member

Sam Silver Member

Status Points:

We need a "light bulb" smilie on this forum! :)
    I think you can sqeeze some miles out of this transaction - by utilizing ebillme's option to pay bill at a retail location.

I read retailers usually charge $4.95 convenience fees for processing payment, BUT most accept credit cards!
    If your order is $100 or more, and credit card earns 5% in miles rewards:

+$5.00 in rewards at 5.00% on $100 order
    -$4.95 processing fees
    ====================
    = $0.05 profit (not much, not worth the effort?)

+$10.00 in rewards at 5.00% on $200 order
    - $ 4.95 processing fees
    ====================
    = $5.05 (worth looking at?)

For even more savings:
    I found some CVS and grocery stores listed as participating bill processors.
    No idea if this would work, but if the ebillme order can be paid for in same transaction as other merchandise - it should be possible to use a $5 store coupon (weekly offer) to offset the processing fees.

Casey Friday likes this.
  13. Nelumbo
    Original Member

Nelumbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    MP select visa. Some people's targeted CO 1Pass visa cards have such offer as well.

14. skynerd

skynerd Active Member

Status Points:
    "Amazon.com, The Home Depot, and Lowe’s is 5%, which doubled to 10% - to a max of $10 per order."
    -- http://www.ebillme.com/learn/promotions/2xtuesday20110412/

Perhaps splitting the gift cards into three separate orders might work.

I realize that Tuesday is already over. I am posting this for future reference for anyone else considering trying this during a future eBillMe 2x Tuesday / Thursday.

15. skynerd

skynerd Active Member

Status Points:
    My Chase Continental OnePass Mastercard earns 2x miles on gas, groceries and dining through June 13, 2011. Last I checked, there was some uncertainty about whether all CO MasterCards were automatically included. My experience was that I read about the promotion on FlyerTalk, called Chase and said, something close to "I'm not complaining or making a request other than for information. I was wondering if my card is subject to any promotions at the moment" and they told me that my card was in this promotion. There are similar promotions that seem to be genuinely targeted, but this one may apply to all CO MasterCard holders.

Alternatively, you could get 2x Aeroplan miles (or 2% cash back) on all purchases with the Fidelity American Express (no annual fee, by the way).

16. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Status Points:
    This is very similar to what I ended up doing. I did 3 separate eBillme orders, $100 each, getting $10 back on each. I wasn't aware that I could pay at a retail location, so unfortunately I didn't get any miles from the transaction. Now that I'm aware I can do that, I'm TOTALLY going to be doing that next time.

Thanks for spelling this all out - it gets the best of both worlds: save money AND earn miles!:)

17. MilesFashionFood

MilesFashionFood Active Member

Status Points:
    Try Evrewards.com

18. Sam
    Original Member

Sam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here is yet another bit of savings.
    Fatwallet shows ebillme.com as participating merchant in FW cash back program, reported as working in addition to regular and double Tuesday/Thursday offers.
    FW cash back earnings vary based on which gift card is purchased - from 1 to 4% of g.c. face value.

19. NYC_Gal
    Original Member

NYC_Gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    A bit OT. I use Swagbucks.com a couple times a day to search. I redeem their points on Amazon GC, and usually rack up about $10 a month. PM me if you want referral. ;)

20. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Status Points:
    shady...

21. jaw_24
    Original Member

jaw_24 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Check out this post for another option. Currently good for 9 AA miles/$ or up to 13.6% cash back if this works.

22. aitchly
    Original Member

aitchly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have to agree with both of you :).

Evreward (or cashreporter.com) are great reward aggregator sites. However, they note that you can get approximately nothing for shopping at Amazon.

23. adamhoolhorst

adamhoolhorst Silver Member

Status Points:
    Question for those buying multiple $100 Amazon GCs, racking up a larger eBillme bill and then paying at one of their walk in locations: can I buy, say $1,000 worth of GCs, then go to 7-11 and pay the $4.95 ONCE or will I get dinged 10 times, bringing the fees up to $49.50? I'm buying a TV and I'd love to double dip, getting both 10% off at eBillme.com and get points paying the bill off.

24. JohnnieD
    Original Member

JohnnieD Silver Member

Status Points:
    This might be a bit of a stretch...... buy coins at the mint, take the coins to a Coinstar machine, get them counted and take a payment option of an Amazon certificate. There is no commission when doing this...............

25. neil
    Original Member

neil Silver Member

Status Points:
    But then you're wasting a mileage earning opportunity!

JohnDeere19 likes this.