Earning MileagePlus miles with Austrian in P class

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by IndyDavid, Oct 17, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. IndyDavid
    Original Member

IndyDavid Gold Member

Status Points:

Hi everybody. I have a paid business-class roundtrip booked in P class next month. It's a United ticket with UA flight numbers -- mostly codeshare flights operated by Austrian Airlines/Tyrolean. I recently got the following news from our friends at MileagePlus:
    --
    Hello,

We’re always glad to hear from Premier 1K members like you. Thanks for writing.

Unfortunately, business 'P' class of service on Austrian and Tyrolean Airlines operated flights are not eligible for MileagePlus accrual. You are correct the listed classes on the United.com table are the only eligible booking classes.

Thanks for flying United®.
    --

Is that true? Is that what UA intends? P class earns 125% RDM and 150% EQM on UA, LH, and LX... how could it earn 0% on OS??

Thanks in advance,
    David

2. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Call Austrian and ask them what their fare class is. You can't generally depend on the fare class that is listed on a UA coded codeshare flight. Its very possible that the Austrian fare class is actually different than P as it is listed on the UA "flight number"

I'd call Austrian directly and ask them, providing the Austrian PNR number.

If you don't have the Austrian PNR, call United and ask them for it.

3. IndyDavid
    Original Member

IndyDavid Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good suggestion, mht_flyer! They closed at 8 p.m. ET, but I'll call in the morning. When I looked up the booking on Austrian.com, it says "Business basic / P" (see attached screenshot).

Attached Files:

• OS.jpg
      OS.jpg
      File size:
      43.8 KB
      Views:
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    If the UA P fare maps to OS P then, yes, you really don't earn on it. The full chart is here: http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/mar...s/Pages/AirlinePartnerDetails.aspx?ItemId=302.

The P fares are relatively new in the TATL ATI and, while unfortunate, it isn't all that surprising to me that the earning charts have not yet been updated. That said, LX and LH. P fares do have earning rates showing so maybe this isn't an oversight. :eek:

Sorry.

5. IndyDavid
    Original Member

IndyDavid Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, P fares are relatively new, but the UA, LH, and LX charts were updated within a few weeks of the fares' introduction. It has to be an oversight. The question is who at UA can get it fixed. I PM'd UA Insider.

6. Skyraider

Skyraider Active Member

Status Points:
    BTW. Austrian consists of three different operating carriers "Austrian, Lauda and Tyrolean Airways". Do flights on all three carriers earn UA miles or just Austrian-metal?

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pretty sure that Tyrolean operates all the flights now for Austrian. Lauda is their charter/package tour arm and is not part of Star Alliance AFAIK so I would not expect to earn on those flights.