Earning Lifetime Diamond Status

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by MarkUK, Feb 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MarkUK
    Original Member

MarkUK Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    A lot of questions are often asked about lifetime status with Hyatt.

Earning it is as 'easy' as
    1. 10 consecutive years of membership
    2. 1,000,000 base miles - no bonus points count and at $1 = 5 points a spend of $200,000
    3. If you chose airline miles and not gold passport points, the stay doesn't count towards lifetime
    How to find out if you are nearly there
    1. Ask Gold Passport - when I did that some years ago it took several weeks for them to work it out
    2. Download your stay history to excel and then extract just the Base Points amounts (Account Details -> View All -> Copy and paste table to excel. Filter out entries in 'Base Amount' and sum.

Alternator, Kaanapali and Pegasus like this.
  2. MarkUK
    Original Member

MarkUK Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    And how close am I - well the spreadsheet says 586,156 - so just over half-way!

Sean Colahan likes this.
  3. FWIW, the one time I called GP and asked them this same question the first person didn't know and put me on hold. She then came back 2 mins later and said a supervisor told her how to find this #, and she gave me the # which matched up exactly with all the base pts I had added up from all my stays (ie, your #2 method). So they can certainly give you this info more quickly than several weeks, you just have to find the right person in GP that knows the proper button to push...................

4. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I asked my PLC to verify my base miles recently, and we came out with almost exactly the same number. My progress? I'm a little over 10% of the way there. At my current rate of travel, I will most likely hit the 1,000,000 base points a couple of years before I hit 10 years in the program.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  5. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    I Have no clue where I'm at, but with a few conferences being credited to my account every year, I should probably make it in about 5 years from now

Sean Colahan likes this.
  6. Mary2e
    Original Member

Mary2e Silver Member

Status Points:
    I checked a few weeks ago and I've got just about 250k. I've been a GP member since 1998, so I hit those 10 years a while ago..

It's going to be a while before I hit 1 mil points, particularly at my current rate of earning. I've been more in the burn mode.

7. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    1MM lifetime? Looks like I've got about 900K to go! :p

Sean Colahan likes this.
  8. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I've never called to find out - but adding up the "base points" column seems to indicate that I'm only around 200,000 - with a grand total overall of 1,000,000 ish. So I have a long way to go :(

thesilb and Kaanapali like this.
  9. MarkUK
    Original Member

MarkUK Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    In fact, I asked my PL agent what their system showed and I am 'much' closer than I thought - only 286,326 to go!

10. polar_bear
    Original Member

polar_bear Active Member

Status Points:
    The Hyatt CC post points column, presumably, these don't count towards lifetime status but it will make a bit more difficult to calculate base points.

11. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    Much closer than I am! Of course Lifetime Diamond is more of a fantasy with me; its a bit tough to rationalize spending that amount when its all of your own nickel or dime (presuming one has that free money to even spend in the first place!).

That being said...would love to get there..and who would not? ;)

kenbo likes this.
  12. MarkUK
    Original Member

MarkUK Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    If you do a sort on the column with the property name in I think you can collect all the credit card lines together and then delete en-masse

13. HoKo
    Original Member

HoKo Silver Member

Status Points:
    is it confirmed that CC spend does not count towards lifetime base points?

14. LoyaltyLobby
    Original Member

LoyaltyLobby Active Member

Status Points:
    Very difficult to "achieve" the lifetime status with Hyatt.

As stated above you can just ask how many base points you have when you call to get missing bonus points fixed. Personally standing around 300K at the moment when all points earned is well over a million.

TravelGuy1965, bbbb and thesilb like this.
  15. kenbo
    Original Member

kenbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is it 10 consecutive years of membership? Or 10 consecutive years of Diamond membership? I'm guessing the latter.

And I'm guessing you'd have to complete both items 1 and 2, not just one of the two?

16. kenbo
    Original Member

kenbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can't confirm it, but if it's anything like the Hilton AMEX, CC spend is counted as bonus points. This makes sense because base points are calculated on the rate you pay during stays.

Kaanapali likes this.
  17. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    According to several GP reps I have spoken to, it is not 10 years of Diamond, but 10 years of membership.

As to items 1 and 2, yes you have to complete both.

kenbo likes this.
  18. polar_bear
    Original Member

polar_bear Active Member

Status Points:
    I asked my PL agent for my lifetime base points. The number she gave my included CC spend points.

HoKo likes this.
  19. HoKo
    Original Member

HoKo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow that is a big piece of information right there! Can anyone else chime in to confirm this?

20. I made it a few months ago in precisely 10 years with 2,400,000 total points. Keep going - you can do it [​IMG]

Reports to date have been no extra special recognition, but actually, I have been very well recognized in my few stays since I made it, including an amazing premium suite at PH Beijing.

21. MilePointInformed
    Original Member

MilePointInformed Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any tier level for ten years.
    My guess the confusion to that question lies in how many Gold Passport agents shared that incorrectly over the years.
    I fell for it too.And oh yeah 200k in only eligible spending which will not include ANY bonus points
    Or in other words 1,000,000 Base Points
    Mere pocket change;)

Kaanapali likes this.
  22. HoKo
    Original Member

HoKo Silver Member

Status Points:
    But the question I'm wondering about is: do points earned from CC spend count as base or bonus points and polar_bears answer would indicate that CC spend counts as base points

WaterSki likes this.
  23. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you need help doing your taxes? ;)

24. MilePointInformed
    Original Member

MilePointInformed Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was told no by Gold Passport agents regarding cc spend.However on another similar past talk board recently without mentioning any other names but its initials are (shhh) FT :D I suggested that I would bring the question up to GP management and or executive offices. A small number felt this would upset the apple cart if I did so as a result I never took it further for full clarification.Having said that there are some folks who believe one will..........
    Great answer?:eek:

25. kenbo
    Original Member

kenbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's possible that the agent was misinformed and gave the wrong number. I believe CC spend won't count as base points. It doesn't make sense to me from Hyatt's standpoint. A lot of the CC spend would have nothing to do with Hyatt (ie. grocery shopping, gifts for children, eating out, etc.) and I don't see how they could/would justify making that spend count towards our lifetime base points.

Kaanapali likes this.