Earning hotel points for cheaper stays

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by sobore, May 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Planning for hotel travel is a 12 month a year task for me. My primary objective is to earn free nights and points for free nights so when I travel I am not left to the whims of market forces. Elite status is also important to me, although I feel it is important to balance loyalty to my preferred hotel chains with opportunities for free nights in other programs. Maintaining points in a variety of hotel loyalty programs provides options.

I received an email from a traveler this week trying to find a hotel for Travel Blog Exchange 2011 in Vancouver, British Columbia June 11-12. She had waited too long to book rooms and most rooms in downtown Vancouver show rates over $200 and hotels are sold out for places like Starwood’s Westin Grand all-suites hotel or the Westin Bayshore. I suggested she try Holiday Inn at $120CAD per night with the $75 rebate card for a weekend stay.

Actually, I also waited too long to book my hotel and I had to stay an extra night to get a Cash & Points award for one of the three Starwood Hotels. The Cash & Points option showed unavailable for three nights, but at four nights was available. In March I could have booked any of the three Starwood hotels in downtown Vancouver using Cash & Points awards.
    U.S. Travel Association International PowWow 2011 San Francisco