Earning Hotel Credits By Booking Through AA.COM

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by VillageVicarage, Mar 26, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. VillageVicarage

VillageVicarage New Member

Status Points:
    Good Day!

I'm sure I must have lost my senses. Up until recently, I was under the impression that if I book a hotel - any hotel - that's offered through AA.Com, I will receive Aadvantage Miles for that booking. My recollection is that it's circa 100 miles, but I may be wrong. Supposedly, this is in addition to any actual miles I may earn through my Fidelity Card with said hotel.

My daughter and I stayed in Bergen at a Clarion Hotel on December 30th for one night after coming off a wonderful twelve night sailing around Norway. I booked it through AA.com and even the confirmation I received clearly shows the American Airlines dual colour Blu/Red logo on top.

Our BA flight credits for the flight back to the UK came through without fail. However, after a month I wrote to the AA address I had for the booking. It appears to be their tour operator - Tourico. Tourico wrote back telling me that the process takes about a month, so I again waited.

However, today, in phoning the Executive Platinum 0800 number on my current AA card, I was transferred to someone at AA in the States. The young lady, who says she was on the Aadvantage Desk, knew nothing about this. I offered, repeatedly to send her a copy of the PNR, but she politely declined. I also offered the Record Locators and Confirmation numbers, but she said they weren't necessary.

In a last attempt, I pointed out that the booking engine we use in the UK is not aa.com, but americanairlines.co.uk and pointed out that on the front page of the website there's a promotional flag saying that Aadvantage members earn miles by booking through AA.com, for up to 18000 hotels around the world.

Have I missed something? The odd thing is that up until about six months ago I regularly booked my Holiday Inn accommodations through aa.com and earned the booking credit and later credit for the actual stay. But this is the first time I've stayed at a Clarion in Norway.

I realise it is a measly amount to worry about, but I'm always keen to ensure that my miles do not expire. I often find that items I purchase from the UK, via Aadvantage shopping also don't post the credit. It's generally hardly worth chasing the small amounts. But as my daughter points out, they do eventually add up. And in this I know she's right!

I'd be most grateful for any advice or direction.

Thank you!

Fr Bill+

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can you go back to the website you used and find a list of participating hotels? Perhaps not every hotel that's bookable this way participates in the promo. It would be wise to print the pages showing the banner and the steps as you start to do a dummy booking for the hotel you used.

3. VillageVicarage

Status Points:
    Thank you for your kind reply. I tried directing the AA rep to the website. I don't think she was aware that UK residents do not typically use the AA.com website, but are directed to AmericanAirlines.co.uk for bookings. There's a clear indicator in their advertising on the front page. However, she said she had no knowledge of this. I even offered to email her the link, but she declined.

I was just hoping there might be someone else here who have used the aa.com site for hotel bookings. In the past, despite groups such as Holiday Inn declaring their own website holds the lowest prices, I've found marginally better rates through the aa site...(not because of currency conversions). The key benefit has been that when booking through aa.com and their agent/Tourico, the rates often include breakfast, where through the hotel's site it does not.

Thank you again for your kind thoughts!

I'm a lifetime Executive Platinum member. I have the square bum and drawn look of a perpetually exhausted traveller to prove it! However, I no longer really stay atop all the latest 'promotions,' (or 'demotions' as some might see it these days). My key interest these days is ensuring my balance doesn't disappear for non-usage. I've been busy amassing miles through an alternate programme to achieve the equivalent status before I kick off. The miles make great gifts for my children.

Fr B+

Fr B+

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    :confused:

I'm pretty sure AA doesn't offer such a tier.

As for the "earn when staying at a hotel" bit, you should earn 2 miles per GBP spent according to http://www.americanairlines.co.uk/i18n/bookOnline/hotels.jsp?locale=en_GB&anchorEvent=false&from=Nav and the Clarion is included. Does the booking confirmation show your AA # in the reservation? If not you're probably hosed on this one. Otherwise you'll be fighting with Tourico to get the points posted.

5. VillageVicarage

Status Points:
    Thank you for the kind advice!

This is an interesting point. When I made the booking I went to aa.com to do so. I made certain to log in to the aa.com website, then followed the radio bars to 'hotel bookings.' It was there that I found the hotel rates. As I proceeded with the booking, there was absolutely no facility for me to add my Aadvantage number. By this fact I assumed that it was already evident as I was 'live' in the aa.com site. Additionally, the site offers no further place for me to add my Aadvantage number.

The only identifier I have that appears direct from AA is what looks like a PNR with the Colour AA Logo on top and a group of multiple booking references: However, the one that says it's a 'Record Locator,' doesn't appear to be the traditional Record Locators I typically see from AA/Sabre type bookings.

Issue Date: 17 Dec 2014
    Reservation Number: 64441531
    Record Locator: 63241627
    Confirmation Number 66111313

It's a bit of a mystery and I would add a rather sad one, especially as it worked so well in the past for me.

Thank you for providing the link. That's exactly the same link I've relied upon in the past. And as you can clearly see it does not offer any actual place for someone to add their Aadvantage number again, thus it must be assumed that the booking is taking the Aadvantage number from the sign in point.

Thank you for the time you took to search and respond!

Fr B+

6. VillageVicarage

Status Points:
    Good day all! I just want to add a further comment. I've found this journey to be rather disappointing, although probably not surprising.
    I've just made a new attempt to contact the 'AAdvantage Desk' in the 'UK.' I tried dialling the UK number 0808 238 9847. This transferred me to an agent in the US. However, the young lady was helpful and provided me with a 'UK' number to call 0207 660 2300.

I could almost swear the person I was speaking with was either in the Philippines or other parts of Asia. However, the agent insisted she was the 'Aadvantage' desk in the UK. I asked for an email address where I could send her my hotel booking details, as well as a link to pages that promote the "Earn 2 miles for every £1 spent when booking through the AA site."

The young lady asked me to hold so she could provide me with the address. (A thought came to mind that if she actually works there, then surely she must know the address... when I dealt with AA staff in Dublin, they always seemed to know where they were!).

The agent came back on the phone and gave me the address of: The Plaza, 100 Old Hall Street, Liverpool. L39 QJJ...and she added 'United Kingdom.' (This really suggested that despite her assertion to the contrary, she was not in the UK! ).

I was surprised she was giving me a street address. I asked her for the email address to use and she told me there wasn't one! Surely this isn't the NEW American Airlines, is it?

This isn't even a matter of the challenges of merging airlines together. This has been a long-standing scheme offered through AA.Com. I can't believe I'm going through such a hassle to get this sorted. As I've mentioned, it wasn't about the miles, actually. But now, it's a matter of principle, as well as one of those niggly little things that pester you like a gnat flying around your face. All this mishegas for nothing!

I'm hoping that someone else has been able to break the code AA have created so I can get through!

Fr B+

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Like i said before, I'd start with Tourico, not AA, in chasing the miles.
    When I make a dummy booking there is a place to enter the FF#. Even if I'm logged in to the site.
    aa booking.JPG

8. VillageVicarage

Status Points:

Apologies, This is precisely where I began! Here's the reply I received in January from Tourico

Jessica Cutler (Reservations Support)

Jan 22, 20:47

Good afternoon Father Bill

Thank you for this service opportunity,

You will need to contact AA directly regarding your AAdvantage points. Typically they are credited 30 days after you check out.

If you have any other questions p[lease do not hesitate to contact us.

Many thanks

Jessica

= = =

Also, I'm interested in the template you've found. This is certainly not the AA template, which is found when you begin your bookings at:
    americanairlines.co.uk Go to PLAN TRAVEL+HOTELS This is the template I used.

And if you begin a dummy booking, such as Bergen Norway for the 19th of April for 1 night, you should see, in red, a note in the room details that 2 points per £1 spent will apply.

Thank you for sharing this. Is this template from a site other than that of the UK?

Fr B+

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It is from the UK site. It is what I see after choosing a hotel off the form from the link I previously shared.

Plan Travel | Hotels. Type in a city and select dates and click "Find Hotels" button. Choose a hotel and click the 'Book it" button. Click the "Continue Booking" button to skip the car rental and tour packages. Then you'll see that form.

AA still does a lot of things by postal mail in the USA, too. If they're saying that's what needs to be done then you can either follow that policy or not, but choosing not to is much less likely to get the issue resolved in a satisfactory manner.

10. VillageVicarage

Status Points:
    That's interesting!
    I'm attaching the first page and the second page I access when I initiate a booking through americanairlines.co.uk
    It's quite different from the one you have!

Thank you!
    Fr B+

upload_2015-3-27_13-5-14.png

upload_2015-3-27_13-5-35.png

11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No...not different at all. Read what I wrote again.

After clicking the Book option for a particular hotel and proceeding further you'll get to the form I shared.

12. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you spoken to customer relations at AA or just the regular people? If not in try that.

13. VillageVicarage

Status Points:
    Hey Friend

Apologies. You are absolutely right! I went through the mechanism, just as you suggested and saw this.
    I must be honest, I don't actually recall this page displaying this way last December. However, I can only guess that as I've always been so driven to do these bookings for the sake of registering the transaction through AA.Com, had this page requested my FQTV number, I most certainly would have added it. However, it somehow simply didn't get processed by Tourico. I note that the reply from Tourico, when I first wrote them following up on the booking, didn't suggest there was no number present. They only stated that I had to go through AA to pursue it.

So....thanks to your dedicated sleuth work, and infinite patience, it takes me back to the rather bizarre response from the Aadvantage desk in the states, telling me they've never heard of these credits, and the most baffling communication from the follow-up call to the AA UK number, where the lady told me I had to write to Liverpool and could not email them... I'll need to continue pursuing this matter, not through the miracles of modern technology, but via the joys of Her Majesty's Royal Mail.

Accordingly, letter written and going into the post tomorrow. From that point, I guess....there's always hope...as long as life and breath remain!

Thank you again Wandering for all your help and guidance!

Fr B+

The Grass Is Always Greener On The Other Side!