Earning HH Points Internationally

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by ChrisUNC, Sep 2, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. ChrisUNC

ChrisUNC Silver Member

Status Points:
    I recently got back from a 6 night stay at the Hilton Tokyo. When I reviewed the HH points accrual for the trip, I noticed that the hotel used an extremely favorable (to Hilton) and unrealistic conversion rate for determining the USD equivalent of my folio for calculating my HH points.

When I did the math, it appeared the hotel used an exchange rate of about Y90 per USD. Here is where I take issue.. At no time in past 12 months has the USD been above Y84 per USD. In fact, the USD has not been above Y80 per USD since June 26th. Even the currency exchanges at Narita airport AND the Hilton Hotel gave me better exchange rates than HHonors did for points accrual.

According to the Hilton Honors T&Cs...
    Points awarded for stays at hotels within the Hilton Worldwide portfolio outside the U.S. will be based on local currency converted to U.S. dollars. Local currency will be converted into U.S. dollars weekly, using a published rate of exchange in effect at time of conversion. This rate will be determined at Hilton HHonors Worldwide, L.L.C.'s sole discretion, based on standard currency conversion methods but may vary from currency conversion rates used by credit card companies.

Anyone know where Hilton is sourcing it's "public rate of exchange"? While I do not expect Hilton to use the true market rate of conversation, a 13% mark-up (in the hotel's favor) seems quite excessive.

If this were a matter of a few hundred points, I'd probably just let it go. But as you can imagine, 6 nights at a hotel in Tokyo makes for quite a hefty bill. And a 10 yen difference in the conversion is well over 10K HH points (when factoring in Base + Diamond + Double Dip + Double/Triple Bonus).

I haven't contacted HHonors yet, but it's on my to-do list. I wanted to post this message here first to find out what others have experienced before contacting Hilton.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. lewende

lewende Member

Status Points:
    Have you taken out tax before you calculate exchange rate Hilton Tokyo used?

3. ChrisUNC

ChrisUNC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes. I based my calculations solely on the room rate, exclusive of any taxes or fees.

marcwint55 likes this.
  4. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

5. ChrisUNC

ChrisUNC Silver Member

Status Points:
    I started to type out a response here, but it quickly went off topic from the original purpose of this thread. So, I sent you a private message.

marcwint55 likes this.