Earning full miles if dealayed/cancelled flight and put in a another carrier possible?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by kayjay, May 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. kayjay
    Original Member

kayjay Silver Member

Status Points:
    Last week, my flight was delayed from Miami to IAD for more than 4 hours. While talking with the gate agent, she suggested that she can book me with American Airlines and still I will be able to earn 100% UA miles (plus AA miles).
    Is this possible?

2. moa999
    Original Member

moa999 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If bumped you can typically earn points on the new carrier (AA), and then claim original routing credit (which is generally given as a customer goodwill gesture) from the original booking carrier (UA)
    -- as separate alliances, there is no way that AA will pay part of the purchase price to UA for them to issue you points

gobluetwo likes this.
  3. theBOAT
    Original Member

theBOAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I did this earlier this year, in February IIRC (on a Continental stock). I was rebooked to Delta, but sent my boarding passes and original receipt showing CO tickets that I missed, and was credited with the full RDM's and EQM's for the original routing.

It did take about a month for the OnePass department to process, but it happened.

theBOAT

kayjay likes this.
  4. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely. Hopefully you presented your ff number when you checked in with the new carrier. You'll be on a revenue ticket - perhaps even a y ticket - on that carrier. Points will be automatic (assuming you give your ff number at checkin).

For the original carrier, you need to request "original routing credit." Write an email or a letter, give them your record locator (and ticket number if you have it) and request original routing credit for the flights that you originally booked. This is standard procedure and you should get it without any problem.

kayjay likes this.
  5. Halothane
    Original Member

Halothane Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yep! I do it all the time. I always drop a note to the 1K email with my PNR and what segments and I am awarded the EQMs and RDMs.

kayjay likes this.
  6. kayjay
    Original Member

kayjay Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks all.