Earning EQMs vs RDMs

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Singapore Flyer, Jul 6, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Don't let my Silver member status in MP mislead anyone, I am still pretty new to this game...so, I hope someone can provide me with this answer. I tried looking around for the answer and couldn't find it.

I was wondering if I could earn BIS miles for a different *A or OW member than the one I fly?

i.e. I fly NH but put my UA membership on it, would I earn EQM for UA? OR same situation but fly CX, but put my AA account, would I earn for AA EQMs in addition to the RDMs for AA? Or is it just the RDMs for the account I put and EQMs for the airline that I fly?

I hope that made sense.

Thanks!

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is always best to check with the airline to be certain, but generally you will earn the eqm's and rdm's for the frequent flyer number that you use. My daughter flies Alaska almost exclusively at present as she is in school in Seattle, but she gets the credit on Delta and keeps up her silver medallion status as well as growing her lifetime miles.

Singapore Flyer likes this.
  3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    The FF number entered with the booking or PNR is generally credited both EQMs and RDMs, otherwise it would be possible to do double-, triple- or multi-dipping!

marcwint55 and Singapore Flyer like this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    However, if you're crediting other airlines in *A to UA, be careful to check the requirements for UA operated segemtns for UA status levels. Just having 25,000 EQM isn't enough for Silver, for example, if you have never been on a UA flight.

IIRC Air Canada has some similar requirements in their FF program. You're probably aware of SQ's rules for PPS since you're apparently located in Singapore.

marcwint55 likes this.
  5. cliburn
    Original Member

cliburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    And not all fare classes will earn RDMs or EQMs on most airlines.... So always double check before you book.

Singapore Flyer likes this.
  6. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    If it's within an alliance, generally you do earn EQMs for flights on an alliance member that you credit to another alliance member.

Lifetime miles are more complicated. CO and AA used to count all EQMs toward the lifetime total. UA did not, and post-merger, UA does not could EQMs earned on other carriers towards the lifetime total. AA switched around the same time and now only counts AA flgihts. So Lifetime counting is variable.

When it is a non-alliance partnership, often the miles count neither toward EQM nor lifetime. You need to check.

Singapore Flyer and marcwint55 like this.
  7. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    Located in NYC, but visit the in-laws every 18 months or less. My kids like the Flyer, so I use that as my handle...but I know very well about SQ...have been burned by them a few times during my first few times flying them and not realizing there were no miles accrued because of the class of ticket. Ironically, the wife doesn't like them at all and her cousin is a FA. I did read about having a minimum of 4 flights on UA to qualify, so I know that having EQMs alone won't be enough, but at least if I pick the right fare class, I can earn EQMs and RDMs.

8. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    Thanks for the reminder...I have been burned by SQ and CX by a few bucks when I left the booking to another family member. ;)

9. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did AA change again? When they stopped the "any miles count towards the million" i an pretty sure they made a point of saying miles flown on any OW carrier (when booked through AA) counted towards the million (as well as annual status requal). (With the note that not all fare classes earn full miles.)