Earn extra UR points for ordering iPhone 4S

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by rharrigill, Oct 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. rharrigill
    Original Member

rharrigill Silver Member

Status Points:

I was planning on pre-ordering the iPhone 4S today for my wife (she's still on the 3G since her iPhone 4 was stolen...sad day) through the Chase Ultimate Rewards Shopping Mall to get an extra 2 points/$. However, I noticed this in the T&Cs:

Pre-orders for the iPhone 4S will not be eligible on Friday, October 7th. The pre-ordering of iPhone 4S will become an eligible product as of Saturday, October 8th.

Just wanted to give you guys a heads up in case you were thinking of doing the same! I'll be making the order tomorrow instead.

2. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is United or Continental offering a miles for phone service program still? I tried looking for the link on UA and couldn't find it.

3. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    thanks for the heads up! i'm upgrading two lines so that's a load of miles.

4. rharrigill
    Original Member

rharrigill Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not sure about UA or Continental, but I did notice the ATT and Verizon bonus points for new service are no longer offered on the Chase UR shopping portal. They were there recently, within the last two weeks or so.

I guess they killed those deals because of the new iPhone?

5. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I looked a little harder. I recall a special wireless shopping portal, separate from the usual shopping portal. I still can't find it. In any case, you can get miles by clicking through the regular shopping portals to Apple and ordering it there, but it's not the 5000 mile bonus you used to get for signing up for a mobile plan. Apparently CO has the better deal with 2 miles/$ vs. 1 mile/$ on UA.

6. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    The only thing I could find is 3300pts at AT&T wireless but it looks like it's not valid on upgrades or iPhones:
    http://public.ultimaterewards.com/demo/ur-earn/AT&T Wireless/AT&T Wireless.html

7. MeeToo

MeeToo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have (stupid?) question. I can buy a phone thru a shopping mall such as UR and then simply have my current phone provider activate it? And ditch my old phone?

8. Getting ready to order 4 on our family plan so... $15 bonus for choosing this card and no other work? Nice one - thanks sir.

rharrigill likes this.
  9. rharrigill
    Original Member

rharrigill Silver Member

Status Points:
    It has to be able to work on your current phone provider's network, and really we're only talking about the iPhone here since you're ordering through the Apple Store. You can buy it from the Apple Store, get 2 extra points/$, and then activate it when you receive it in the mail.

10. rharrigill
    Original Member

rharrigill Silver Member

Status Points:
    Mommy Points has provided a more comprehensive blog post here.

wanderinghome likes this.
  11. infamousdx

infamousdx Silver Member

Status Points:
    I personally went through Amex's bonus points mall to get 4x MR points.

12. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Casey Friday Silver Member

Status Points:
    The one unfortunate downside for me is that if I were to get a phone through a rewards mall, part of the conditions for accepting the reward would be that I would have to activate the plan (voice/text/data) they suggest, not my current super cheap legacy plan. Although, I wouldn't really get many points anyway, as every time I need to upgrade my phone with T-Mobile, I finagle them into giving me the phones for free. :)

imharper2 likes this.