Earn elite credit for up to three rooms at once

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by okrogius, Jun 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
  2. Albert
    Original Member

Albert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for pointing that out - it'll be good for those moments where I need to reserve more than one room with friends.

jbcarioca, PLUS_1 and jrp2 like this.
  3. jrp2

jrp2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't do SPG hotels that much but good to know.

jbcarioca and PLUS_1 like this.
  4. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah an excellent benefit I think. I have long thought you should get credit for at least 1 more room if booked under your name. You pay for the room nights, you get points for both rooms, there is no reason you should not get credit for both.

jbcarioca and PLUS_1 like this.
  5. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have 2 rooms booked for my upcoming trip, so this is a good news.

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Reserved two rooms on a recent 1 night stay with family. Paid for whole stay with my SPG number on both rooms. Did not get 2 stays or 2 nights - 1 of each. Disappointed. Contacting SPG today, but results on TOBB sound mixed/conflicting. Anyone else have other recent data points?

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why? The principle was always getting night/stay credits for actually being in the hotel, not just for booking and paying. One does not get credit when one doesn't check in; otherwise folks would just book the cheapest rate they could find worldwide and no show without canceling instead of doing mattress runs.

jbcarioca and paladin87 like this.
  8. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Because the same number of "elite" night/stay credits are given out. If I personally take a trip with a couple of friends, and I influence to the group to stay at an SPG property for example, I bring in 3 rooms for 6 nights each. If my friends don't want the night credit, and I pay the whole bill, then why should I not be rewarded for bringing SPG the 18 room nights of business? The same # of nights are given out (18 to me) instead of 6 to 3 different people. You don't get double crediting to the person paying and the person staying, so why not? I keep hearing arguments against this and continue to disagree with the logic, or lackthereof in my opinion. Paying for a night and not showing up is not at all the same thing.

The idea is to reward travelers for bringing in a certain amount of business to the chain, not to reward them for physically occupying a room X times...not explicitly. Rewarding them for bringing in the same amount of business through other rooms is the same. If I spend 51 nights x $100 a night personally, or 17 nights x 3 rooms X $100 a night, it is the exact same thing.

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unless you're exceedingly generous and wealthy or unless you have a very unusual relationship with your friends, you're not really paying for their hotel bill. Either they're giving you cash/checks or they're paying other expenses in kind. The hotel gets the same revenue but elite status is devalued since many of the benefits of SPG status, specifically upgrades, are zero sum.

With friends, either they agree willingly, perhaps with some improper convincing, or they're unaware fo what benefits they might be able to obtain from a hotel program (which would be detrimental to Starwood's business in that it would be better for SPG to get more loyal customers and convince them fo the benefits offered). However, for business travel, coercion could be involved. A boss insists on putting several rooms on his/her number and paying with his/her (company) credit card in order to get all the nights/stay credits as well as points.

I'm really surprised that Starwood made this rule change. At the very least, they could have restricted the additional room nights/stay credits to family members, where the "who pays" answer has at least some credibility in that parents really do tend to pay (at least sometimes, in some families, and depending on the age of the offspring) for their minor children's hotel bills.

This is one more change I do not like.

SC Flier and jbcarioca like this.
  10. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    FWIW, Plat CS took care of getting me 2 stays for 2 rooms without much fuss.

Maybe since our Aloft location was very new and in an intl location they didn't get the memo about Mar 2012 changes when crediting my stays?

Either way happy with new change!

11. VeryGoodPoints

VeryGoodPoints Silver Member

Status Points:
    It took me three emails to the hotel and one email to the PC and I finally got credit for the second room I had in May in Thailand for two nights. Seems like not a ton of people at the hotel were aware of the policy change. The PC was very helpful in getting it fixed.