Earn 500 Starpoints Booking at Non-Starwood Hotels

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by theBOAT, Jul 6, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. theBOAT
    Original Member

theBOAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi all,

I just received this today from my Starwood Ambassador contact. I guess they figure they can get a cut of your non-Starwood spend by acting as the travel agent, and also steer you towards booking a Starwood branded hotel close to where you're trying to stay with a competitor. My first impression was that I thought it would be weird to book stays at Hilton, etc. with Starwood, but maybe I'll get over it for 500 points a pop :) See email below for specifics.

theBOAT

Quote:

uggboy likes this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    In many other hotel programs, like Starwood, you don't earn points or nights/stays for Travelocity bookings, which I don't think of as being very personalized. I think 500 points for a Motel 6 booking would be fine, but I don't use Travelocity and I don't want my hotel reservations made through Travelocity.

AFAIK most hotel bookings still carry commissions for travel agents, so one can go through one's normal travel agent without additional fees and, depending on how good the travel agent is, get personalized service with benefits and other perks as well as refundable rates.

It's interesting that Ambassadors are now almost starting to act as travel agents, although technically Travelocity would be the travel agent here. I wonder whether there were legal issues in doing this. Also, it's a way for Starwood to track your patterns in nonStarwood hotels and get lots of data on how top customers behave.

3. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Industry standard is to pay travelocity between 15-25% commission depending on which country you are based in. Travel agents normally get 10% when booking a hotel and wholesalers get 20%. Expedia charge unless you manage to get the commission down as there commission is 25%. That's a lot for a hotel to give up!

500 points value is a steal considering how much commission they could be making by booking hotels for you as long as you are booking expensive hotels.

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    SPG is basically giving Plat100 people their Plat amenity points when they stay elsewhere, but booking through an Ambassador precludes getting FHR, LHW LC, Virtuoso etc. amenities and possibly means not as good of rates as one could get elsewhere. It would be a good deal for Motel6, not so for upper end competitors such as Peninsula, PH, FS, etc.