Earn 5 Additional Points/$ (to 15/$) at Embassy Suites on Citi Reserve by May 31

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by NYCUA1K, Mar 1, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    ES-PROMO.jpg
    Register here...

Newscience likes this.
  2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looking at the fine print suggests that this offer may be targeted :(, e.g.,
    "Offer applies to the account referenced in this offer, is not transferable..."
    "This promotional offer is non-transferable and applies to the account ending in the last 4 digits referenced in this offer."

3. WhiteDesert

WhiteDesert Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's not restricted to the Reserve. I have the no-fee regular Citi HHonors VISA and I received an email with that offer yesterday (the text looks identical to the screenshot that you posted).

4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good to know that it is valid for other Citi HHonors CCs. The remaining question is whether it is targeted...

WhiteDesert likes this.
  5. WhiteDesert

Status Points:
    Yeah, like you, I have no intel on whether it's targeted. I guess we'll see...

NYCUA1K likes this.
  6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wonder if the targeting has anything to do with whether or not someone has already booked a stay at ES. As it turns out, I'd already booked a 5-night stay for the 3rd week of May at Embassy Suites Montreal before I got this offer. The relatively long stay @15 points/$ should earn me a bundle, and figure in 50% Diamond bonus and 50% points+points double-dipping bonus.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  7. WhiteDesert

Status Points:
    Interesting hypothesis. I have about six ES stays booked right now (all one night stays, mostly at the ES at MSP). And I completed about five ES stays during the previous 2500 point Citi HHonors promo.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  8. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is there a link where I can test whether this is targeted.....

DTWBOB

9. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup. The entire imagine of the offer in the first post and a link therein, or just click here. I am curious to know what it says when you click the link...

10. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is two data points that suggest that they may be targeting people with booked stays at ES...

11. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Tried the link -- and it turned out to be a blind alley.

DTWBOB

12. WhiteDesert

Status Points:
    Agreed.
    And I think we might say that DTWBOB's result is perhaps a third.

13. WhiteDesert

Status Points:
    I signed up for the promotion. I haven't had a chance to crunch some numbers and see if it is going to work out better to use the Citi card with the promotion, or use my no-fee AMEX HHonors card (with the 500 point booking bonus). All of the ES stays I have booked for 2014 so far are single nights at the AAA or Government rate.

Perhaps I'll take some time to run the numbers later today for giggles.

14. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    This deal beats the AMEX because one essentially gets 5 more points/$. I have both the Surpass and the Citi Reserve. The Surpass awards 12 points/$; with this deal, one gets 15 points/$ on the Citi, everything else being equal. With the Diamond (50%) and points+points (50%) bonuses, a HHonors Diamond like me will get: Base + 1.5*Base + 0.5*Base + 0.5*Base = 3.5 * base on the Citi Reserve, vs. 3.2 * base on the Surpass.

15. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup. The offer is targeted...

16. whkento
    Original Member

whkento Gold Member

Status Points:
    FWIW, I received that offer by e-mail.

17. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    I also received this a couple weeks ago, but I have never come across a Embassy Suites Hotel as I hardly ever go to North America.

18. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Suspect the current Amex bonus offer of $25 off $150 by end May is the better choice if you can swap a Hampton for an ES.

19. othermike27

othermike27 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got this emailed offer a couple weeks ago, but ignored it since I don't have any plans that might call for an ES stay during the time period (and I have not booked at an ES since Nov 2013).

After seeing this thread, I logged into my account and clicked on "See special offers" under Quick Tasks at the right of the page. The offer came up, and I enrolled for it (still don't plan to use it). Anybody who didn't get the targeted email might try this approach to see whether you can get the offer that way.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  20. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Points for my stay last week at ES Montreal just posted:

2014 HH2 DOUBLE YOUR HHONORS OFFER: 11,384
    Base Points: 11,384
    50% BONUS ON BASE POINTS: 5,692
    DIAMOND VIP BONUS - 50% 2014: 5,692
    MYWAY PREFERENCES BONUS OPTION: 1,000
    Total: 35,152
    Yet to post: 15 points/$ for paying with the Citi Reserve as per the promo of this thread: 22,221

Expected Grand Total for the stay: 57,373

We'll see if Citi delivers!

21. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Until yesterday, maybe, Citi did not deliver. First, no promo points at all were posted in June as they should have, so I called Citit CS. They told me they would investigate. About a week later, I received a letter by snail mail informing me that "Your account is not enrolled in an offer that awards additional points at Embassy Suites hotels", which was, course, bullshit because I had started this thread after registering. So, I sent them evidence that I had registered for the promo. I was told the points would post with my July statement. July came and they awarded me 5000 points, which were less than I should have earned from the promo. Looking at what they'd done, it was clear that they had awarded me points for a completely different promo, one that awards 3 extra points/$ (to 13/$) and is capped at 5,000, rather than the one that this thread is about (5 extra/$ to 15/$). On July 15 I called Citi CS to inform them that they still awarded me the wrong number of points and explained why. The CSR seemed to understand that they needed to give me the difference between 15/$ and 13/$. Easy enough, right? Not with Citi! Yesterday, I received a letter by snail mail saying: "Your HHonors rewards points were earned correctly as the promotional offer for Embassy Suites hotel purchases had a cap of 5,000 reward points." In other words, they still made the same error that I thought had been corrected when I had called. I immediately called CS again, asked to speak with a supervisor, explained how I was frustrated with Citi's inability to solve the simplest of problems. The super found the correct promo and it was not capped at 5000 points, and promised to fix the problem. We'll see...

For me this does it. The Citi Reserve card is a thing of the past. I will not cancel it but I will just not use it ever again unless there is credible evidence that Citi is serious about this JV with Hilton Honors. Unlike the AMEX Surpass, which awards more points/$ and always correctly but has a foreign transaction fee (their drawback), Citi never seems to know what is going on and I've had enough. Genug ist genug, so AMEX Surpass here I come!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014