Earn 20% more AA Advantage miles (mail piece)

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by penumpang, Mar 24, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. penumpang
    Original Member

penumpang Gold Member

Status Points:
    I received a tri-fold postcard offering bonus miles:

"We value your business, and to thank you for carrying the Citi / AAdvantage card, we want to make it easier than ever to earn more American Airlines AAdvantage miles. Earn an additional 0.2 AAdvantage miles for every $1 spent on eligible purchases until 06/30/12. That's 20% more AAdvantage miles on what you buy. This includes travel, dining and every day items like gas and groceries."

Then, there is a phone number to call and an invitation number.

I believe this is targeted, but keep an eye for this mail piece if you have AA Citi cards!

TAHKUCT, rwoman, wrxmom and 1 other person like this.
  2. brockb

brockb Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the heads up, I don't really spend much on this card now that I got the bonus but every little bit helps :)

3. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is targeted. I get that mailer every few months for my personal Citi card; have tried to apply it to my business cards but it doesn't work nor.

Another thing I've noticed is that when reduce usage on that Citi card and switch to one of my other cards, I get the mailer more often. Something to keep in mind when you're looking for an extra 20% bonus every few months.

perryplatypus likes this.
  4. perryplatypus

perryplatypus Gold Member

Status Points:
    This would be great if they did this on the Citi Executive then I could earn extra miles towards MM Status this year.

wrxmom likes this.
  5. Switch2

Switch2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got a email with 10% discount code for being a citi Amex holder which I gladly used! no snail mail mailer yet for me

6. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got this a couple months ago and called to cancel the card (I told them that AmEx has a cheaper card that gets me 1.25 AA miles/$, which is still better than 1.20). They gave me 2 bonus miles/$ for my next $5000 of spend. Just FYI, might be a good idea to call to get an even better bonus if you don't use the card but like AA miles. I effectively have 3.2 miles/$, up to $5000/16,000 miles.

7. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why did they limit you to a $5k spend? Wouldn't hurt to call back and see if they can remove the cap.

8. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The cap is not uncommon. In my view, this was quite a generous offer. It was actually for 6 months with a $5k cap.

If Citi offered a card that gave 3 AA miles/$ consistently, I'd barely use any other card!

wrxmom likes this.
  9. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

LizzyDragon84 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've also gotten some interesting retention offers when I called to close my cards. I got one offer to waive the annual fee and get 1,000 bonus miles if I spend $1000 in a month (can be repeated each months for 16 months). On the other card, they would waive the fee if I used the card 5 times in 3 months.

rwoman likes this.
  10. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    No worries on the $5k limit, just curious.

3 AA miles/$ would rock!

daemon14 likes this.
  11. penumpang
    Original Member

penumpang Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm glad it's stackable. In addition to the extra 0.2 mile, I am also signed up for a retention offer which gives me 750 miles for $750 spend each month for 12 months. So, basically I get 2.2 miles up to $750 and 1.2 miles after $750 for the length of this promotion. I think this is a pretty decent deal.

daemon14 likes this.
  12. Jett Rink
    Original Member

Jett Rink Silver Member

Status Points: