Earn 18,250 points for free, each year

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by Ant, Mar 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Ant
    Original Member

Ant Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you've not yet signed up to www.topguest.com then do it now!

You get 50 PC points per check-in to an IHG hotel, limit one per day. So in one year, if you check-in every day, you will receive 18,250 points. Or 18,300 in a leap year!

How to check in?

This can be done through Facebook, but for me it's best to sign up to FourSquare, which is a social network that allows you to check-in to businesses/places across the world.

Once you have your FourSquare account, link it TopGuest.

Then, if you have a GPS-capable phone you can download the FourSquare app for your device, or access the mobile site. Then you simply find your nearest IHG hotel and check-in. You can search for hotels slightly outside of your area. Within an hour or so, the TopGuest site should show you have 50 points. Simple.

If you prefer, you can check-in from your computer. I use FireFox, which does automatically find where you are. But if it doesn't work you need to use the GeoLocator add-on to manually find where you are. Once you've installed the add-on, go to Tools -- Geolocator -- Manage. Click the Green + sign at the top right. Tell it where you are, then click the second button at the top - next to the Green + sign, which says 'Switch from Select to search geolocation'. Then simply double check the details, and click the third button, the Green Tick. Confirm you want to use that as your location and then that's it. Just rinse and repeat when you move location. (Using these steps, will also allow you to manually find a location for Facebook, you just need to visit the iOS optimised website and then check-in to places. If using Gowalla, you need to visit the mobile check-in website)

Once this has been setup, go to the FourSquare mobile site. Then search for a venue. Find your nearest IHG hotel, then check-in!

Simple. Easy points!

2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well this seems rather disingenuous, as you're basically standing outside the place and checking in, as opposed to actually there. But I guess we didn't make the rules... :)

This could however prove troublesome for the people that use location-based apps and keep checking in at hotels... perhaps their spouses or SOs might not appreciate it too much. :)

mdbradenjr, Tenmoc and joesmoe like this.
  3. Ant
    Original Member

Ant Silver Member

Status Points:
    :eek: Ohmi! I certainly never suggested cheating! Of course, the proper practice would to actually be there. :)

rwoman, doc, joesmoe and 1 other person like this.
  4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well like I said, we didn't make the rules... :)

It's not like they said you have to be a guest to check in.

The Android app seems to have some pretty bad reviews (1 star) but I'll try it... I'll just turn off notifications so that everyone on facebook doesn't start asking why I'm checking in at the Holiday Inn near work. :)

rwoman, Tenmoc, joesmoe and 1 other person like this.
  5. Ant
    Original Member

Ant Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's why I'm using FourSquare app on a separate account from friends, so it doesn't intefere with Facebook/friends. I'm always paranoid these 'check-in' apps will automatically check me in to some seedy shop as I just happen to be walking by!

DebraI, joesmoe and viguera like this.
  6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    What are you doing walking by seedy shops? ;)

LBS is the future though, and it's good to see companies trying to find ways to get people involved with this whole check-in thing. It does say "one check-in per day" but I wonder if that's per venue... I can already imagine people checking in at every hotel between home and work every day.

Tenmoc likes this.
  7. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    I utilize my iPhone and Foursquare. I check in from the road while driving to the office each day. I have accumulated 5,700 PC Points, 4,400 Wyndam Rewards & 3,850 Choice Privileges.

It is limited to one check-in per day per program. I have tried to check-in to both a Comfort Suites and Quality Inn on the same day and it will only give you credit for one-check-in. Same result when checking in to multiply PC properties in the same day.

This is the only reason I use Foursquare. Topguest is my only friend so no one has to see the multily daily check-ins.

8. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does it take overnight for the TG site to reflect that a check-in has been posted to your facebook? I just want to make sure i've got all this integrated right, and that the TG account isn't looking to my normal FB, but to the new dummy FB I created just for this.

Thanks!

9. Ant
    Original Member

Ant Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure, have you tried turning off Facebook and then switching it on again and pointing to the new FB account? If you're using the TG app, rather than the website, then just delete the app and try again (it may be caching your old FB account!)

10. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks like they mention Yelp (which I use) and Google Latitude on their facebook page as well. The new Latitude client on Android allows for automatic check-ins at designated places, so you could literally just drive by and it wold check in for you.

This certainly has potential. :)

Tenmoc likes this.
  11. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmm... I can't seem to find any way to link Google Latitude (or Yelp, or Loopt) as a service. They only offer foursquare, twitter, gowalla and facebook places.

I've sent them an email about it, only because I like the idea of auto check-ins with Google.

Tenmoc likes this.
  12. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does top guest show the points immediately after check-in?

13. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    From their FAQ:

How do the points get deposited into my program accounts, such as Priority Club, HHonors, Virgin Elevate, etc?

Topguest automatically deposits the points you earn from check-ins into your points program accounts. Occasionally there is a delay of up to 6 weeks between when you earn the points and when they show up in your account balances, depending on the particular software used by our program partners.

Tenmoc likes this.
  14. Ant
    Original Member

Ant Silver Member

Status Points:
    They show up within a few hours for me on TopGuest. But as viguera pointed out, it can take six weeks to deposit in your PC account. Points used to post each week for me, but now it seems more adhoc, roughly each month.

sobore likes this.
  15. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can't even find the APP anywhere on my facebook - neither old nor new.

16. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think there's an app, you're just granting them access to your Places info. My guess is that after you connect they go in and read your check-ins and report back to the partners.

Tenmoc and Gargoyle like this.
  17. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    I really like this too, but find it tough to remember to actually check in every day (foursquare on iPhone). Wish there was a way to automate...

18. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah I would probably never remember either, which is why I'm interested in the latitude integration. I work in downtown manhattan so I know I'd just have to walk to lunch and I'd get checked in into all these places :)

19. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    2 out of 3 of my check ins from earlier today now show up in top guest.

Me as well, throw me a PM if you find one would ya?! :)

20. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    No reply on the email yet, but a rather interesting development... :)

I live in Norwalk (CT) and had to go into Queens (NY) today. On the way to the highway I passed the Doubletree and checked in via facebook.

In Queens, I was near JFK and saw another Doubletree. Checked in again.

Topguest now shows two check-ins...

[​IMG]

Sooo... it would seem there's a loophole in the "one check-in per day" thing. Not sure if it's at a specific hotel or per state, but obviously I got two today for the same program.

Too lazy to do the math but the possibilities are intriguing... :)

Casey Friday likes this.
  21. edenri
    Original Member

edenri Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, I used my computer, hopefully I did it all correctly.

Casey Friday likes this.
  22. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    FYI my HHonors account already shows the 100 points from yesterday's 2 check-ins, credited as "Doubletree top guest check in bonus"

The Priority Club points have not posted yet.

I just realized that I could have also checked in at the Virgin terminal at JFK last night (even though I was only close to the airport) and received another 25 points towards Elevate.

23. DebraI
    Original Member

DebraI Silver Member

Status Points:
    This looks awesome. I pass by several hotels on the way to work, too. Gives me more motiviation for getting out of bed and goint to work each day. ;)

Lyssa and Ant like this.
  24. edenri
    Original Member

edenri Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't know what the limit is, but according to FT, some people did get banned from topguest by abusing it.

25. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm... silly me for not reading, but it looks like the two Doubletree check-ins were awarded at different dates for some reason. One on Friday and one on Saturday, even though I checked in both times on Friday before 9pm, so that whole business of multiple check-ins might not work regardless of states... :)