Earn 1500 United Miles For Purchasing Bose QuietComfort

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by MLW20, Feb 3, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]
    Back in December, I posted about a couple of offers to earn miles with American Airlines and Delta for purchasing Bose products.
    Here is a new offer to earn United miles.
    Purchase Bose QuietComfort 15 Acoustic Noise Cancelling headphones (link below) and earn 1500 United MileagePlus award miles.
    Bose QuietComfort headphones sell for $299.95. Definitely a bit pricey if you ask me and not on my list of things to buy in the future.
    I couldn't see wearing noise cancelling headphones on a flight when flying with Lucas.
    I need to hear what is going on if my little guy is uncomfortable or needs something.
    Some Highlights (according to Bose):
    • Advanced noise reduction
    • Acoustical design for detailed, lifelike music
    • Soft- cushioned, around the ear fit
    • Additional cable with inline microphone and remote for iPhone/ iPod control
    • AAA battery- 35 hours average life
    If you're looking to buy Bose headphones, click HERE to earn some valuable United miles.

GoodBoy and KenInEscazu like this.
  2. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have purchased five of these over the years. I left 3 on planes, and two were stolen. If I lost them again today, I would buy another pair today.

Because of the frequency of loss, I once bought a pair of Audio Technica for half the price. They sound great, but the over-the-ear version I purchased are just a shade too small for my ears. They were uncomfortable enough that I bought the 5th Bose.

As for the noise canceling keeping you from hearing people around you, that really depends on the volume level of your music. I usually hear people speaking to me, but have to remove the headphones to understand what they are saying. I can still hear crying babies, but they aren't nearly as bothersome with the headphones on.

This offer comes and goes. I've been fortunate enough to get it 3 out of the 5 times I've needed a new pair.

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have the older QC2 around-the-ears, and I love them. They take up quite a bit of space in my carry-on backpack, so I don't take them on every trip, but I have had them for years and would buy the newer QC15 if I broke or lost them. But I recently got new ear cushions for mine for around $30, so hopefully they'll last me for a while.

GoodBoy, Tenmoc and KenInEscazu like this.
  4. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I went to a Bose Factory Outlet store to buy new ear cushions for my QC2s, and they offered to exchange the QC2 for the QC15 for $89. I figured that meant the upgrade was a net $59, so I did it. That was two months before the last pair was stolen. :mad:

Note to self: ALWAYS check to make sure I have my Bose when deplaning.
    Note to self: NEVER leave my Bose in an open pocket of my roll-on laptop case while hanging out waiting for a flight.

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I think I would have done that, too. Especially since some of the plastic on mine is broken (though nicely fixed with duck tape, which is compatible with United's cabin repair approach).

6. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have trouble accepting the price tag, knowing what's inside :(

GoodBoy and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Agreed, the price is high. Before I bought my QC2, I went through two sets of cheaper NC headsets, for a total of about $200 or so. The first one (a brand I don't even recall, bought at Sharper Image or Brookstone I think) wasn't comfortable enough for long flights and didn't overall cancel out much noise. The second one, from Sennheiser, was more comfortable but not as good as I hoped for noise cancelling either. I still have it, though. I then bought the Bose, thinking I could return it if I didn't like it within 30 days. I just liked how comfortable they were, and they did cancel out more ambient noise than the other two sets.

So yes, the $300 is a lot of money. But amortized over about 10 years of travel I think I have gotten my money's worth.

GoodBoy likes this.
  8. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe it and agree about the cost/benefit, but some mental hurdles are hard to get over :) The amount of electronics in these costs less than the rest of the materials and probably even packaging. I just can't get over it!

In the same vein, I did all the necessary calculations and Lithium batteries are a hell of a lot better than alkaline in some of the applications, and that's accounting for price. Convincing myself to pay $1.50 a battery requires me to get ice cream first as a pacifying treat.

GoodBoy and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  9. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    I too have the QC2s and need new ear covers, but decided to pay the $100 upgrade to new QC15s instead of the new ear cushions. shame that transaction likely won't earn me the miles.

GoodBoy likes this.
  10. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    When was this that they offered you $89? Just curious as if I can take that to the store locally here against the $100 they told me I'd like to save even the $11.

GoodBoy likes this.
  11. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    It has probably changed. My offer was in November, 2011. It's still a good deal at $100, though. It's hard to believe that they can sound noticeably better than the QC2s, but they do.

GoodBoy and Tenmoc like this.
  12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You did have to mention that after I said I refurbished my QC2, didn't you? ;)

Tenmoc likes this.
  13. OnlyOne

OnlyOne Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm in the market for some noise-cancelling headphones and, contrary to most of the online reviews I've read which all seem to be from audiophiles that bash the Bose performance, I think the Bose headphones actually sound quite nice and do a fairly decent job of making a lot of ambient noise tolerable (via my highly scientific testing of them in stores and using a friend's set). Have you guys had good experiences? Reading this thread, it sounds like the earpieces can fall apart, but has the rest of them held up well (i.e. wiring)? I'm thinking about splurging for the QC15s, but wanted to know what you guys thought about them before I take the leap.

GoodBoy and Tenmoc like this.
  14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Wiring is fine in my QC2. The ear cushions' surface started to break down after nearly ten years, starting to leave black flakes on my ears/neck. They were 30 bucks to replace, and it was easy to do. A piece of plastic cracked a while ago, but it wasn't hard to fix with tape. Not sure how I broke it. I would definitely recommend carrying them in their original carrying case for protection.

Tenmoc likes this.
  15. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just upgraded my qc2 to qc15 due to the ear cushion issue i mentioned above. Physical construction of both sets is pretty good. I did break an ear off on an old set of qc2 because i was too rough with them once, but bose exchanged them free of charge for me.

Other than the material of the cushions on the qc2, i say they're well built. I am liking the qc15 although have not flown with them. But walking to work along a busy road is rather peaceful with them. I believe they're doing a better job than the qc2s did.

GoodBoy likes this.
  16. OnlyOne

OnlyOne Silver Member

Status Points:
    Cool, thanks a lot for the replies. How are the QC2s in flight? Do they do a pretty good job of cancelling out the noise? I'm just getting tired of having to have my iPod or computer cranked almost to the max to be able to hear what I'm listening to through my lame headphones.

Tenmoc likes this.
  17. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Both sets come with a cord that has a built in amp. So you will likely end up turning down the volume.

That said, the QC2s worked well in flight. Trying out the 15s later today.

18. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    My QC2 doesn't have an amp in the cord. The cord is just a cable; all the electronics are in the headset itself. Maybe they changed it with later versions?

Tenmoc likes this.
  19. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    It doesn't have a cord with a hi/lo switch on it (the part that goes inside the can)?

20. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Nope, no switch.

Tenmoc likes this.
  21. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting. I thought that was standard. I only got my first set in 2005 or so though.

Regarding 2 vs 15, i did feel the 15s did a better job on the plane Friday night.