Early requalification of your status

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by John AA, Apr 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. I have asked this question before and AA informed me that they will look into it , that was a year ago .
    Here it is again .
    Say you requalify again ( earlier than your anniversary date ) then your new anniversary date should be the date
    Should be The date you were requalified . This should be the incentive
    to requalify early ( and enjoy your new status longer ). Other wise what is the incentive to qualify early ?

misman and DestinationDavid like this.
  2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Hey John AA, welcome to MP!

As an AA frequent flier I have to say I'm a little confused by what you're saying. Can you flesh it out a little bit more? I think your use of the term "anniversary date" is confusing me. What do you mean by "anniversary date"?

Are you asking for a rolling requalification scheme? For example:

You are an EXP.
    You fly 100,000 miles as of 4/23/2011, which would be your new requalification date.
    So you now have until 4/22/2012 to fly enough to requalify for your EXP status.

Is that what you mean?

3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think what he's asking is, if that's the case, what incentive do you have to qualify before 4/22? If you wait until 4/22 (or thereabouts) you extend to 4/22/2013, etc. Whereas if you qualify early (say 1/1/2011) then you basically just robbed yourself of 3 months of status. :)

Then again it depends on the airline's policy on status qualification. Some go to the end of the year, some don't (IIRC).

4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well yes I saw the section on the incentive, but I didn't want to go into until I figured out what his question is. Maybe I'm the only one slightly confused... lol :)

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP.

I'm not an expert on AA, but my understanding is that qualification and status are based on their program year. So, if you qualified in 2010, your status is good throughout 2011 until about February 2012. If you qualify in 2011, it's good through 2012 until about February 2013, but if you then "qualify again" for the top tier in 2011, it doesn't extend the status; essentially those EQMs earned over the requirements for top tier status are wasted and you start over again at zero in 2012 for EQMs or whatever AA calls them.

However, two years ago DL introduced rollover so that your excess EQMs would carry over to help meet qualification requirements for the following (or later) year(s). Some like this system and some elites don't. AA's program doesn't have this feature.

6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    If the OP is looking for an incentive to keep flying AA after requalifying, he can look at the following thread on another forum that outline AA's history of awarding extra SWUs for EXPs with high elite qualifying points (EQP).