Early Morning Flight - Timing Help Needed

Discussion in 'Argentina' started by Toula, Jul 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    We have booked a trip to BA next month. Our return flight departs EZE at 0845.

Would you expect we would have an issue with traffic with such an early departure time? What time should we plan on being at the airport to be able to checkin and get thru security with the minimum possible stress? We will be travelling in Business Class on LAN.

We were planning on staying at the Hyatt the night before departure thanks to Hyatt points. Is there any need to be at a hotel closer to the airport?

I know these are probably silly questions but a girl needs to know these things.

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd plan on leaving about three hours before the flight based on your criterion of "minimum possible stress". That is what I do, mostly because I'd rather hang out at EZE than be late.

Gaucho and others know far more than i do about this, so I'd reply on their views much more than mine.

Toula and Gaucho like this.
  3. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've never left that early in the morning. But I'd leave a bit earlier than 3 hours in advance. Here is why:
    (1) From the Hyatt, you might have some morning cross-town traffic. However, there really aren't "airport-close" lodgings in the city. Being on the San Telmo side of town does save me time headed back to EZE, but certainly not worth changing your hotel.
    (2) During non-peak hours, EZE really understaffs their security and immigration booths. I don't know how "peak" that 845am is, but I doubt it is very peak. Most departures should be regional and mostly smaller aircraft. I usually get there just prior to the start of evening peak, and I check in (LAN) in a few minutes and then wait and wait for the one security checkpoint - often, a second will finally open while I'm in line.
    (3) You just never know what will happen on the way to/from EZE, so better safe than sorry.
    (4) Better safe than sorry. As miserable as EZE can be to hang out in for a long time period, missing your flight is worse. I spend a lot of time waiting for my flights there, but it is time well spent. Frequently, airline staff are in the immigration area calling out for passengers on flights that are about to depart to hopefully expedite them. While much is the fault of the passenger, some is just the fault of Argentina. (If you throw something at me for that comment, make them alfajores :D )

Toula and jbcarioca like this.
  4. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Crosstown traffic at 6AM....???? Dont think so. I think getting to EZE at 6am for an 845am departure is more than enough... EZE is a zoo for evening departures, but much much less so for morning operations.

dhammer53 and jbcarioca like this.
  5. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Getting to EZE at 6am is way more than enough. My real concern would be how woefully understaffed both security and immigration have been at non-peak times. I would suggest that a 630 EZE arrival would be an appropriate time.

6. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes.... but even with understaffed immigration, once you check yourself in you will be ushered around by the airline staff so I dont think there is much chance of missing the flight....

7. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I don't see them coming through the security area, just the immigration.

8. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    We're landing at EZE around 8:00pm (2000). We depart AEP/MDZ the following morning at 6:20am (0620).

I'm open to suggestions on where to spend the night. Should we stay in the city? Are there hotels at AEP?

SC Flier likes this.
  9. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Follow up... downtown is sort of in between both airports. We cashed in our Sheraton points for a night at the Sheraton Libertador (sp?).

Roughly 45 minutes from EZE to the hotel.
    Roughly 20 minutes from the hotel to AEP.

10. PointyWings

PointyWings Silver Member

Status Points:
    Bumping the thread here - I have a 4.20 AM (0420) flight on LA from EZE. Considering low staffing, when should I plan to get to the airport? Also, what are the prospects of getting a taxi from downtown at that ungodly hour, without having to pay a king's ransom? On past trips, I have usually negotiated fares down to fairly reasonable levels - but they were during 'normal' daylight hours.

11. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    If you are at the airport no later than 2, you are more than fine. I've been on that flight a few times. If you don't otherwise have a car service, call http://www.taxipremium.com/ - they are pretty reliable - I'd expect the fare to be about $300. I paid $270 last week for my regular driver (but the $ blue has jumped nearly 20% since then).

If you have lounge access, the LAN Salon VIP opens at 0230.