Early Bird Question: Checked in about 40 seconds after opening and still 45th in line

Discussion in 'Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (w/ AirTran)' started by bryanschmiedeler, Dec 24, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. bryanschmiedeler

bryanschmiedeler Active Member

Status Points:
    I guess I don't understand the early bird check in. I paid for it and check in for my flight opened at 10:45 AM this morning. I checked in as soon as I could and I ended up in the A section, number 45? What is up with that? I just discovered a few weeks ago that there is some tier status on Southwest. Never knew about it. Do these people get to sign in first?

Bryan

2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought SouthWest offered automatic check-in, which means you're probably trying to outdo the computer, which is not gonna happen :)

MX likes this.
  3. TXHeritagetraveler

TXHeritagetraveler Silver Member

Status Points:
    Early bird check-in is automatic. The computer has already assigned your number at the 24 Hour mark no matter when you check in. Top frequent flyers get A-List and those that purchase Business Select fares get A1-15 and up. In my experience A45 would be a typical assignment for Early bird. I usually end up anywhere from A30-A60. When I have flown with colleagues who manually checked in at the 24 hour mark, I am always ahead of them, sometimes substantially.

Not having to fret about checking in and for me getting a window seat makes it worth it. The only problem I end up with is joining an already heavily full flight at a connection or a last minute schedule change that makes the early bird fee go out the window.