Earliest Plane Memory (not necessarily ON the plane)

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by rwoman, May 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    This comes from a recent discussion between my oldest sister (I have 5 of them)...

What are your earliest plane memories?

I think my first "plane memory" is when I was about 10 or 11 years old and we droppied my oldest sister off @ SFO for a flight to Germany on NW (she remembers connecting in MSP...on the way to FRA, I believe)...we dropped her off at the gate and I thought that it was very cool...I think I was enamored by airports and 747's at that point. The other one is when two of my sisters came home from Reno on Reno Air and we picked them up at my tiny hometown airport. I remember seeing that plane and thinking, wow, that seems like something I might want to do.

My first flight would not come until I joined the Navy and flew PDX-DEN-MCO on CO...the group of us had to sprint through the DEN airport in order to make our MCO flight...not like you want to show up late for boot camp...lol.

Little did I know that I would end up flying well over 100k a year at some point!

:)robin

homeyfour and yaychemistry like this.
  2. yaychemistry

yaychemistry Silver Member

Status Points:
    My first flight memory is of the weird triangle carpet pattern on AS bulkheads... that and the giant polar bear at JNU.

homeyfour likes this.
  3. NYC_Gal
    Original Member

NYC_Gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    Mine was under 5. From HKG to TPE. I remember looking out at the cloud and my mom said 'look at the marshmallow".

homeyfour likes this.
  4. JennB
    Original Member

JennB Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was with my mother, we went to CAE to pick up my aunt who was returning from a trip to Paris. I was very curious about the planes, looking out the windows and gawking at them. A gate agent noticed and asked if I wanted to go on a plane. Of couse!! I went on a DL plane, got some peanuts and a little plastic plane that I still have somewhere. I was hooked at 6 years old.

After that, I used to ask my granddad to take me to the airport. We would just sit and watch planes take off and there used to be an outside deck right by the runway that was great for watching them (and loud noises). At ATL, we used to go get lunch at the airport and watch planes from the restaurant.

homeyfour, NYC_Gal and rwoman like this.
  5. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    C5 with the nose up in BGM. I was probably about 3.

homeyfour likes this.
  6. cliburn
    Original Member

cliburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mine was as a kid, picking up my dad at ABE in the mid-60's. Back then gates were just that, fence gates that swung open when the plane pulled up.

homeyfour likes this.
  7. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    About 3 years old flying New York to Florida, I think on TWA. I have tons of flight memories from age 6, my parents were divorced and I flew regularly New York - California.

homeyfour likes this.
  8. Exit Row
    Original Member

Exit Row Silver Member

Status Points:
    Landing in YEG on CP to see my dad. I was a UM, 5 years old, and I remember the FAs being really nice and providing fun snacks the entire flight. :)

homeyfour likes this.
  9. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Flying to Florida at age 7 on a Delta DC-8 with my mom and sister for my first trip to Disneyland. I remember that there was a lot of turbulence from thunderstorm activity and not being scared. I also remember that I thought the stewardesses (;)) were very pretty!

homeyfour likes this.
  10. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, yet another cool thread on MP. My first remembrance is of taking my Dad to IND. His company was flying him somewhere. (can't remember where, because it was in the mid-1950's and I was only about 5 at the most. Remember looking out at the plane and seeing the propellers spinning. Was told that they kept the fuel in the wings. Thought the plane was cool.

homeyfour likes this.
  11. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I was probably about 8/9 and growing up in Japan. We took an ANA flight up and a JAL flight back, and I remember getting a small plush toy from one of the FAs and being given hot towels before the beverage service. I honestly think there was some type of cartoon livery on the ANA jet but it's possible I'm retroactively imagining it.

Either way, I was very impressed and hooked from that point forward. I've loved JAL and ANA since.

homeyfour likes this.
  12. superscot
    Original Member

superscot Gold Member

Status Points:
    About 5 years old, standing with my father by the peri fence at the end of the runway at Prestwick airport when a 707 came in to land. The noise went right down into my stomach.

homeyfour likes this.
  13. mrsmortis
    Original Member

mrsmortis Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's cool. I have a similar memory, I remember standing under the runway at LHR for a Concorde take off. it must have been in the late 70's. I can also remember watching it cross the road at the level crossing! None of that these days they've moved the road that the planes used to have to cross :-( .

homeyfour likes this.
  14. homeyfour
    Original Member

homeyfour Silver Member

Status Points:
    COS-DEN on Aspen Airways in I believe a Convair 580, followed shortly by a UA 727 DEN-DTW. This was a twice a year trip with my mom and younger brother (usually in the smoking section :rolleyes:) to visit my grandparents in Michigan.

Exit Row and yaychemistry like this.
  15. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure anymore about the airline, aircraft or departure airport. It was
    June, maybe July 1955. Boarded out of Cincy, the aircraft door was on
    the wrong, i.e., right side (iirc), and our seats were toward the rear of
    the plane, row 6 I think. It was either 2-2 or 1-2. My mother and infant
    sister were also aboard. Much fuss was made over me by the stewardess.
    I was offered (though little more than a baby myself) a tray that had a
    chicken drum and thigh, mash, corn (maybe peas as well, but if so I
    didn't eat them), and fruit cocktail. A full, though modest-size adult
    meal: kids were a rarity and little allowance was made for them. We flew
    in the rain over the Appalachians, and just as I finished dessert, big
    bumpies happened. I still recall the taste of that chicken - both ways.
    The one and only time I puked on an aircraft, though I have been
    sorely tempted many times since. We were all glad to get me off at
    National a few hours later.

For some reason I fixated on the maraschino cherry in the fruit
    cocktail, and though I happily ate chicken, mash, corn, and fruit
    cocktail after, it was a decade before I would eat cherries or set foot in
    an airplane again.

Mapsmith likes this.
  16. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    We lived in a small town about an hour south of Chicago, and I used to beg my parents to take us to MDW to watch the planes take off and land. This would have been in the late 1950s. I could not tell you what type of planes or what airlines at that point, but I was definitely hooked.