E upgrades

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by kellio, Feb 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    I normally stay at HH or HGI but I booked and ES for an upcoming trip. After confirmation I was offered a "standby" eupgrade. Is this an ES only thing? New? Or have I just never paid attention before?

9.00 per night to upgrade to a bayview room from a city view
    19.00 per night to upgrade to a bayview with balconey.

2. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    These are done by properties that really want to try and get you to pay for an upgrade. I've experienced this at the Doubletree Surfcomber in South Beach, and the HGI West 35th St. in New York.

3. I don't like this approach from the Hotel.
    Its like going to McDonalds with a SuperSize

gemac and Omar's_Coming like this.
  4. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    I particularly don't like it because it books upgrades before arrival at the property, thus reducing the "space available" for upgrades for Gold and Diamonds. It seems like an erosion of elite benefits.

JDiver, HiIslands and piqaro like this.
  5. JDiver
    Original Member

JDiver Silver Member

Status Points:
    The system has not been taken up by all Hilton properties, and is called "Nor1" - you can read more here www.nor1.com. Gold and Diamond members with the proper "My Way" will generally be offered a one-level upgrade costing "$0.00", but basically this is a system operated by a third party that sells upgrades and splits the price with the property. We may not like it, but it has been in the growth mode for some time; expect more Hilton properties to affiliate with Nor1 and offer "e-upgrades".

AHN likes this.
  6. thetenken
    Original Member

thetenken Silver Member

Status Points:
    If there is a one level upgrade, could Hilton elite members do an e-upgrade then get upgraded again at check-in?

7. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    From my experience, Nor1 does not always offer a $0.00 upgrade to Diamond members.

Why should I pay for a one-level upgrade when it is supposed to be a member benefit?

As gemac says, it is an erosion of elite benefits, albeit a sneaky one.

gemac likes this.
  8. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was offered an e upgrade at the LV Hilton when I booked earlier this week. I guess I've never encountered this before as most of my HH stays are booked through my corp. travel website.

I don't remember what the upgrade charges were but I know in this instance I didn't think they were worthwhile.

9. b1513
    Original Member

b1513 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm Diamond and have been offered the $0.00 upgrade. The one I have gotten recently for the free upgrade is for a suite with a queen bed. I've never bitten on the Nor 1 offers.

10. bbbb
    Original Member

bbbb Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is a great deal for those of us with out status in the Hilton program. I can see where people with status could be a little upset.

HiIslands, JDiver and gemac like this.
  11. JDiver
    Original Member

JDiver Silver Member

Status Points:
    Exactly! Some gain, those loyal HHonors members lose on occasion - the upselling by Nor1 assures less unsold upgrade inventory, creating greater scarcity and reluctance of some FD personnel to bypass and upgrade as freely (no pun intended...) Some properties do offer a no-cost Nor1 upgrade to HHonors VIPs, but "greedier" ones do not. Then again, Blackstone and H properties are businesses, and they are merely taking advantage of a creative way of increasing revenue much like the airlines that have implemented a la carte pricing.

12. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    In my experience yes- depending on the hotel.

13. Jason
    Original Member

Jason Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a gold member I was offered the 1 level upgrade at the Barbados Hilton for $0.00 or could pay for higher upgrades...I'll be there in May and can let you know if I'm offered anything better at check-in.

14. wembleygal
    Original Member

wembleygal Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone know how often these standby upgrades work?

15. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Completely non-scientific- just my personal experience ~75%.